Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Professional
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the last year, I think I've been through about 4 torpedo levels of different brands. I'm sick of buying different ones and want to know what the best ones are for cement work. They have cracked, bent, or are not legible anymore because of all of the lodged cement. Which are the best????

·
Registered
502 Posts
Go Kobalt if available in your area. Lowes brand lifetime warranty no questions hassle free return policy.
Problem solved.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Use it quite often depending what I'm doing. It comes as a set of 3 with a 2'and 4' sometimes Canadian tire will have them on sale too.

·
Registered
502 Posts
The torpedo comes as part of a set when you buy a 2' and 4'. The three are cheaper than buying the 4' and 2' seperately. I use a torpedo for soldiers. On some homes I'd use one every day
I use to have the % breakdown in production loss for every time a Mason has to pick a level up. So if you use a torpedo all day long your productivity would be quite low?

·
Registered
502 Posts
I guess using one every day then on one soldier? Or what ever else you would use one ever day for?
Over read it your right, but the fact is every time a Mason has to use their level lowers production.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Not necessarily, I use a string line when building soldiers on new wall or new opening but I think Dom mostly does restoration, so for brick replacement, setting sills, small solider course, setting stone, the torpedo level comes in handy for these things. I have used a torpedo level when doing solider course just depends on the situation.

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
Not necessarily, I use a string line when building soldiers on new wall or new opening but I think Dom mostly does restoration, so for brick replacement, setting sills, small solider course, setting stone, the torpedo level comes in handy for these things. I have used a torpedo level when doing solider course just depends on the situation.
I do about 50/50 new work and restoration. I don't do a ton of new brick work but on almost every house I do there are likely to be some soldiers. i use string for levellling the top and keeping soldiers in line but I use the torpedo for plumbing. A 16' double garage door has 65-80 bricks depending on the brick size, I plumb every 3rd brick. Not much i hate more than drunke soldiers

Every window and door has soldiers, and sometimes there's a band course or some other detail. Yes on some houses I do soldiers every day

·
Registered
502 Posts
Back to the torpedo and the stabila package. What's the cost of package? Pretty expensive torpedo. That's why I recommend to dmorabito to go kobalt. A whopping ten spot and you have a torpedo warrantied for life.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I do about 50/50 new work and restoration. I don't do a ton of new brick work but on almost every house I do there are likely to be some soldiers. i use string for levellling the top and keeping soldiers in line but I use the torpedo for plumbing. A 16' double garage door has 65-80 bricks depending on the brick size, I plumb every 3rd brick. Not much i hate more than drunke soldiers

Every window and door has soldiers, and sometimes there's a band course or some other detail. Yes on some houses I do soldiers every day

Same here but more like 70% restoration which I prefer, 30% new.

·
Registered
677 Posts
$229 for the set at my local supplier And to correct myself Canadian tire don't sell them I was thinkin of the stanly fat max, 😳.

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
Same here but more like 70% restoration which I prefer, 30% new.
Some years I do almost entirely resto. I was on one project for almost 8 mos straight. Then other years I'll do 3 customs which take 3 mos each or more.

I just like change. Can't stand doing the same thing over and over.

I find restoration has both the possibility for the most and least amount of money to be made (which is why sometimes I can only do T&M) but new construction pretty much make the same all the time (per day over the course of a project not day in/day out)

·
Smarter than the brick...
298 Posts
No 45° bubble? About all I use a torpedo for is laying out a herringbone with the afore mentioned bubble and on corners of rowlocks.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts