Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Renaissance Man
6,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is what I'm using on this job,...It's replacing a 2 year old Jeldwen swinging french which was never panned and is leaking like a sieve.

I will say, it's been awhile since I installed the Marvin since I don't sell too many and I'm not too happy with the KD instructions on building the door. They supplied 08 literature which has already been revised twice on their website I've found and there's just too many supplements and scattered information all over the place. Not even a stinkin' YouTube video on a knock down build :blink: :censored:

Anyway, frame is built and I've pulled the casings on the existing door. Tomorrow, I'll get in there and pull the door, pan the opening and hopefully get this puppy installed to proper spec.

Attachments

·
Renaissance Man
6,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nothing against Marvin, this is a beautiful door...just their directions for knockdown builds is driving me nuts trying to decipher which screws go where and the many pieces of hardware and fasteners which come with the door. Both revisions show different specs and order of build and the directions are anything but clear :censored:

Rant over,...I ripped the old door out Wednesday and there was more caulk squirted around that door then on a Home Depot shelf. It still leaked like a pig and the previous contractor couldn't figure out why. Finally the people gave up on him and just hired me to fix the problem.

Under the wickedly sealed threshold was a mess for sure. Sealed in water rotted the subfloor and about 1 1/2" of rim joist. Everything was soaking wet so I cut out the bad, replaced it with new wood, and covered things up whilst it rained yesterday.

Went back today and fabricated a pan/ ledger flashing, leveled out the subfloor to correct a negative pitch and started my install.

I'll tell you this,...the last couple of door jobs for me have all been a serious pain in the arse with things being out of whack. Doesn't anybody install doors plumb and level these days :rolleyes:

Attachments

·
Renaissance Man
6,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A little redundancy never hurt a thing when it comes to waterproofing :whistling

This new door absolutely cannot leak period after what these folks have been through with the previous guy. I promised I'd fix it and their expectations are high. Quick, give me some more of that protecto tape would ya :laughing:

Na, everything should be cool ;) what do ya know...got the Marvin in and locked for the night. :clap:

Attachments

·
Renaissance Man
6,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did get the door in Friday, but i'm far from finished. Still fiddling with fit and finish as this door has been anything but easy.

Here's some of the directions and supplements along with the bags of hardware I'm going over to make sure I didn't forget anything and then I'll foam the frame and start trimming it out.

What sucks is the old door was crooked from day 1 so everything that followed was crooked including threshold, interior trim and exterior stucco.

Stucco is gonna need cutting and I'll weave a new drip cap. Using wider molding on the inside and 5/4 x 4 exterior casing, Wolf PVC.

Also will need to flash the deck ledger along this new addition...builder simply bolted the PT ledger right over the stucco and into the rim. I could see were moisture chased through bolt penetrations into the rim when I had the subfloor open :eek:I'll just slice the hard coat acrylic stucco system 4" off the deck so I can tuck metal in there and roll it over the ledger. Obviously a little Protecto wrap first so I don't corrode my metal with direct PT contact :whistling

This door is working pretty sweet now that I got it up and running :thumbup:

Attachments

·
Renaissance Man
6,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I get there this morning and continue sawing the stucco where necessary to tuck flashing and such and wouldn't ya know I put a fifty cent piece size, clam shell divot in some finished stucco work at the top, left corner where i'll be tucking in some drip cap.

I can cut out a hundred friggin' windows on another job and not bust up a single cut. It was a staple that got me, partially embedded and when I cut it, it vibrated a piece right off :censored:

Add insult to injury, it's a Master Wall acrylic top coat over hard coat base and these are the toughest to match when there eye level repairs. Oh well, made a call to Thoro and had them whip me up a gallon sample match and it it ain't close enough, I'll tint it from there.

I hate when I do that :whistling...moving on, the interior trim is up, filled, sanded, primed and I'll be top coating with BM oil Impervo...my fav buzz :laughing:...not really, but it's bad azz paint for sure and definitely one of my favorites for interior trim.

Downright cold this morning and some wet snow fell early and the clouds and wind lingered all day. Winter's a comin' once again folks, and I gotta tell ya,...I hate the chit out of it anymore :censored:

Attachments

·
Renaissance Man
6,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice detail and updating sir.
You must charge a lot for this install or are you cost + ?
Why do you think they call me SS,..? short for sticker shock :laughing:

Yea, this type door w/install does cost a lot...more than what most people expect.

Materials are over 4K alone...Daz a lot of Sony points :thumbup:

·
Renaissance Man
6,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Even though the sun came out today, it was sub-freezing this morning and windy to boot. Had to stick some gloves on whilst bending up the rest of the ledger flashing and then i'll move on to the exterior trim out and head flash.

I patched that clam shell divot I did above the drip cap by accident and it don't look to bad I suppose, it's still drying out. Hit it with hydraulic mortar patch and skimmed the acrylic coating to a feather edge which ain't easy to do without noticing.

Attachments

·
Artisan Carpentry
1,985 Posts
Nice job.

I did a similar job last month.

I am not sure about Marvin specs for warranty of an exterior door, but the most recent I read for BayerBuilt required that doors be covered by overhangs, like a porch roof, with a projection 1/2 the height of the wall below said projection...

...so if the porch ceiling is 8' above the deck, they require a 4' roof projection above the door, to protect it, from the weather... plus all the other install instructions... in order for them to warranty the door.

This means for some patio doors or other exterior doors, no covered porch, no warranty. They are taking CYA to a whole new level, which leaves installers and HO's holding the bag.

That said, I do think it would be nice if homes were designed with all exterior doors covered by porches.

·
Renaissance Man
6,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Took the Multimaster and an E-cut blade and sliced up under the WRB, 30lb felt, where the drip cap will be inserted. This is a pain in the azz, but it had to be done so I could fit the 5/4" x 4" perimeter casing.

I'll shim the top out first, level with the existing stucco, then ride over it for the casing install on the jambs.

Just gotta paint the exterior casings and fiddle with that deck board I took off and I'll be wrapping this up.

Marvin makes a nice door, no doubt about it. It's a nice heavy door and rolls easily You can feel quality when your opening it for sure. A little tight with the new weather stripping and fresh paint, but should break in rather nicely.

Wind, cold and PVC dust...they all suck if you ask me :laughing:

Attachments

·
Renaissance Man
6,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So here's that stucco patch I was talking about now that it's dry. Not bad really for a mocha brown adjustment :whistling

That really pissed me off when I chipped that...rarely do I let it happen if I can help it.

Check out the texture in the zoomed pic :whistling Damn boy knows what he's doing :thumbup:

Attachments

·
Renaissance Man
6,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So the PVC casings were screwed in with 3" stainless, holes filled with MH Ready patch, seams glued, perimeter in stucco was caulked with BM textured elastomeric patching compound in a bulk gun and the PVC to metal clad was done in Quad.

Paint included Zissner 123, followed by two coats MAB sea shore acrylic.

Should be picking up the check n this one shortly.

Attachments

·
Renaissance Man
6,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nice job.

I did a similar job last month.

I am not sure about Marvin specs for warranty of an exterior door, but the most recent I read for BayerBuilt required that doors be covered by overhangs, like a porch roof, with a projection 1/2 the height of the wall below said projection...

...so if the porch ceiling is 8' above the deck, they require a 4' roof projection above the door, to protect it, from the weather... plus all the other install instructions... in order for them to warranty the door.

This means for some patio doors or other exterior doors, no covered porch, no warranty. They are taking CYA to a whole new level, which leaves installers and HO's holding the bag.

That said, I do think it would be nice if homes were designed with all exterior doors covered by porches.
I feel the same way with roof protection over all doors and you could include windows IMO too. Not necessarily roofs over windows per say, but more substantial overhang design and other architectural features that at least shield openings from the full brunt of things.

That one of the reasons I spec'ed a Marvin on this one...with there being such a small overhand and plopped flush with the deck facing Northeast, the ultimate clad was a no brainer. I love the quarter thick cladding, nicely draining threshold design and of course, superior weatherstrip and glazing design.

The last door job I did a few weeks ago was for a buddy of mine. I talked him into putting a small pent roof over his new 400 series Frenchwood. Doesn't exactly meet BayerBuilt specs. but it'll do wonders over the years shedding the excess that would of surely occurred with this type install.

Don't mind the Fypon surround is still missing, I took longer than expected to come in so I scooted off to another job in the meantime.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
SS
great job. Text book execution. Your right nobody installs doors properly anymore. I think im one of few out there that uses limestone threshold for masonry homes, grace tape, spray foam, tuck points the flashing and uses triple poly sealants as opposed to silicone or .99 painters caulk. Almost forgot the premium paint. Sticker Shock is right. But after installing over 20 doors a year over the last few years and no call backs we must be doing something right. Great job.

·
Renaissance Man
6,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks CD, and you're right regarding callbacks...no money to be made doing them :wallbash:

That's why I was so pissed off when I mistakenly pocked that finished stucco :eek: Customer walked by about 3 minutes after i did it and I had to fess up immediately... should of seen the look on her face :sad:

Told her no worries...I happen to be skilled in that dept. and I'll have it looking like new in no time :whistling. Boy, did I feel like a schmuck :laughing:

I mean , there's no way this doesn't look like a hack attack ;)

Zoom in on the upper left corner - I could count on one hand the times I've done that boo boo over the last 30 years or so :mad:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
it happens. you fixed it and it'll weather out and in a month or 3 no one will ever remember. They will remember how you fixed it properly and that will last for ever with them. It just sucks that you got caught :laughing::laughing:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts