Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Vendor
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the site and I am from central Iowa. I am the marketing sales manager for the Marshalltown Company for utility, concrete, and masonry mixers. I am checking to see who out there uses or has used our mixer line (formerly Gilson Mixers) and any feedback reviews you could give. I am not trying to sell mixers on here but am curious to see what end users think about our product. I am also a 3rd generation owner of an overhead garage door company so I have real world experience in the construction realm. Any comments/questions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Randy Price

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
If it's anything like this 'grandfather', to todays marshaltown mixers - A+1 rating.

40+ years old. My dad bought it when I was like 7-8 years old. Been through it's paces, just have to keep the drum pinion bearing greased. The gas engine was an addon by me, had to use it where had no power and it was stored outside. Electric motors don't like the elements.

Attachments

·
Smarter than the brick...
298 Posts
Didn't know they made mortar mixers, googling a pic they look a lot like the Stone mixers that are prevalent here.

·
Vendor
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Built to perform

Apples to apples if you look at steel gauging, frame thickness and reinforcements, engine or motors, axle type, tire size, etc. etc. the Marshalltown mortar and cement mixers are equal or better in most categories. The weight of the product speaks for itself when you compare against Stone, EZGrout, Toro, Imers, Allen, etc. As far as S.U.M. getting one to 'try out'.........probably not going to happen :). Still looking for someone who has tried the Gilson line prior.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Apples to apples if you look at steel gauging, frame thickness and reinforcements, engine or motors, axle type, tire size, etc. etc. the Marshalltown mortar and cement mixers are equal or better in most categories. The weight of the product speaks for itself when you compare against Stone, EZGrout, Toro, Imers, Allen, etc. As far as S.U.M. getting one to 'try out'.........probably not going to happen :). Still looking for someone who has tried the Gilson line prior.

All this may be true. When it comes to drum thickness,MT is at 12ga. for their smaller mixers,Essicks is at 10 ga.

I could be incorrect however,I think MT/ Gilson will have their hands full trying to compete with Essicks. It is probably like the Chevy Ford thing.:laughing:

·
Vendor
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Our Marshalltown mixers I.E. Model 600CM 6 cuft cement mixer uses a 8 gauge bottom, 10 gauge sides, and 12 gauge top cone metal thickness structure.

·
Vendor
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Look at the weight listings

Check out the overall weight difference for the 9 cuft series......785 lbs compared to our 8 cuft series at 939-1150 lbs.......Just saying the overall frame material is much heavier in ours along with other componenets. Food for thought...........not that Essick is a bad unit by any means.

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
To be honest the first thing i will look at in a mixer is the motor. Honda...goooood B&S baaaaaad

Next thing I look at is volume. Then it's performance, I need to see it mix. Angle of the paddles means a lot to the mix and how non uniformly someone can load it and how uniformly the mix ends up.

Price is of course always a consideration

·
Registered
686 Posts
They look like good, well thought out mixers. I went from a Stone to Imer for my concrete mixer, and I love it. I'm a longtime Essick guy for mortar mixers, but I think most of the manufacturers make pretty good products, and guys tend to stick with what they've been satisfied with.

There doesn't seem to be huge differences in most of the lines, so getting them in the hands of the end user is key......I don't think Gilsons were ever seen much in New England, so where would I check out a new Marshalltown?

I'm open to traveling a little.....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts