Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Where are people having the most success with marketing? Mass mailings, websites, blogs?
There are 3 headings for contractor marketing - pull, push and social. You have true control over 2 of the 3 and a little control over the 3rd.

If you have a lower budget, your best bet is to use pull marketing where you are attracting clients "already" looking for you. If you have a decent budget you can branch out into push marketing where you are branding yourself in your target market (digital display, Pennysaver, newspaper) and if you have gobs of money you can do it all and add on the social component to really own all 3 of the conversations that are taking place about a service you provide.

We have ran thousands of campaigns for contractors. Feel free to contact me about anything.

·
J Meloche
109 Posts
get a website with SEO that kicks the pants off your competitors.

and don't forget google adwords - that has been a great way for us to drive alot of additional traffic to our site....

i absolutely, categorically do not believe anymore in direct mail. (unless you're talking about direct mail to your existing client base, in which case it is very valuable, provided you do it on a consistent basis to stay on their minds)

someone mentioned social media above, but be careful here. social media - posting to facebook, creating a blog, using twitter, etc are great ways to STAY BUSY, but do they GENERATE REVENUE? think carefully about how your target customer looks for the services you are providing. i'm willing to bet they don't hop onto twitter and start following contractors. i think the value in social media (at least in the contracting world) is all about brand building and not lead generation (at least not yet...)

·
Registered
167 Posts
I tell clients all the time, "praying for the phone to ring doesnt make it happen any faster". You must spend money, network, canvas, blitz areas, spend money, etc to get people to notice you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The cogs on a wheel...

There is not one magic bullet to effectively market your business. It takes many different activities and tools.

Just like a wheel, it doesn't work with out all the cogs, the same is true for your marketing. It takes many things to make it all go round!

In general however, your website will be the hub of all your activities and can be set up to act as an unpaid salesperson. Then you need to be creative about the other marketing activities you undertake so that you can leverage everything you can from them. Things like: referral programs, public relations, TARGETED direct mail, etc.

Happy to chat with you further/privately if you like.

All the best to you,
Nicole

·
Non-conformist
1,581 Posts
i absolutely, categorically do not believe anymore in direct mail. (unless you're talking about direct mail to your existing client base, in which case it is very valuable, provided you do it on a consistent basis to stay on their minds)
Good point, let me add just a little more to that, and combine it with your first point:

get a website with SEO that kicks the pants off your competitors.
You want your web site and other marketing efforts to be capturing a list of people to stay in contact with, preferrably by email. And no, not to be mailing them "offers" because that will generate too many opt-outs. You will do best by thinking like your customer. What is important to them? What kind of info would they value?

Provide that, and you can keep "on their minds" without losing them in the process. Only after giving them something of value should you mention any kind of offers or plug your services.

Let's get back to the direct mail. Everyone in the mailbox is sending some kind of coupon or offer. If you're using DM to build awareness (drive traffic to your site) so customers are exposed to your business, be different. You want to capture email addresses, so make your offer only need to do that.

Something as simple as a free coffee at a local coffee shop can work. Everyone who responds to your DM by registering on your site gets a gift card for the coffee. This is just a quick example, but being creative can make DM work for you.

Think about how much money you could spend on future direct mails that end up in the trash and the free give-aways are cheap by comparison. Plus you have a list of people who could be your future customers, and some might even be customers right away. Also, don't forget that the people on your list provide an opportunity to build trust with. When they do need your services, they will trust you more than someone else who simply drops something in the mail or leaves a door hangar.

·
Registered
416 Posts
See prior discussion

Recommend you see thread "Guerilla Marketing" and a few others along that line, including one started by MagicPools re: radio.

Best results are claimed by those with a strong canvassing program.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts