Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just started a roofing company back up which i originally had in the late 80s and 90s. can any roofing contractor give me advice on the best ways to go about marketing considering there were no computers in those days to work with.

·
Contributor
42 Posts
One of the most important things in my opinion to have right now is a website. The majority of people take to the internet now instead of opening up their phone books.

Your website must be a professional looking one. I don't recommend just throwing together a website. If you don't have the money to have one professionally done, I have seen a couple of websites that have been made with www.wix.com that look nice but I have never used it myself. Even if you do create a website using www.wix.com I would recommend getting your own domain name. I would also recommend getting a Facebook page if you don't already have one.

I did a search within the forums and found this discussion that seems to have some good information for you:

http://www.contractortalk.com/f12/best-method-advertising-2014-a-147325/

Good luck in your endeavor hope things go well for you.

Tracy

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just started a roofing company back up which i originally had in the late 80s and 90s. can any roofing contractor give me advice on the best ways to go about marketing considering there were no computers in those days to work with.
I completely agree with TCollins. You must have some type of web presence. There are also a lot of forums on this website that will help as they discuss the best ways to market, strategies, etc.

I personally canvassed for 3 years at my previous job and had much success. (we sold roofing, windows, siding, etc.) However some people will say this is an out dated strategy. I also always liked the decals on truck, if professionally done. As I said the forums on this website will definitely help, but do keep one thing in mind. Heed the advice of others but at the end of the day there is a reason one person will swear by a strategy as another person swears by different. I firmly believe it has much less to do with your chosen strategy and has much more to do with your execution and the planning behind it.

After all once you get up and running again those referrals will start rolling in and that's where the majority of your work will come from. Speaking of again, those roofs done in the 90's......it's about time they get a new one isn't it?

Best Of Luck.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Speaking of again, those roofs done in the 90's......it's about time they get a new one isn't it?
That right there is great thinking!

:drink:

Another thing you can do is drive.

Whether it's to and from an appointment or just a few hours of calculated driving.

Have a legal pad with you and write down every address that has an aging roof or a roof with issues.

Send them a direct mailer or stop the truck, get out and put a hanger on the door.

I would put them into a database also.

Good luck mate!

·
Your Smart Marketing Guru
20 Posts
Great advice tcollins!

Since the rise of technology and mobile devices, almost everyone already depends on the internet. Putting up a website and even having social media accounts for your business are great tools for marketing.

Build your brand by setting a professional looking website. You can do this yourself if you have a background on it or hire someone to do it for you. You also need to stay on top of SEO and be able to offer continuous flow of fresh, unique, valuable and quality content that in beneficial to your target customers.

As for social media platforms, build a valuable relationship with your clients or customers and if you do, a non-stop repeat and referral system might just happen. How is this? It’s actually simple, if they liked you and your business, why wouldn’t they share with their families and friends.

Also, don’t forget to track you competitors. This does not mean to imitate what they are doing but rather analyze their strategies, what works for them and why. If you found out what they are doing right then apply it by doing better than them.

Always keep in mind that reaping what you sow doesn’t happen overnight. You need to invest time, money and effort.

·
Construction Marketing
4 Posts
There is some great info here already. With 20 years in construction industry sales and marketing, here's my input:

1 - These days, a locally optimized web presence is a must. Think about how people look for new service providers. When was the last time you picked up a yellow pages? Me too.

You need to be found in the search engines for what you do in our area, because people are either going to find you online, or by word of mouth. If you're new, WOM hasn't had a chance to kick in yet.
That means a website with an accompanying mobile-optimized version made to look good an a small mobile screen. Not only look good, but deliver your value proposition, specialties, and contact info immediately, and in an easy to read fashion, with no scrolling and swiping. Users hate that and will move on to your competition.

If you're in a large metro area, you are going to have to set aside an SEO budget, or you'll probably never be found when customers search for what you do. Make sure you have a Google Plus Business page as well. You'll have to claim it with Google, but that's an easy process. You can do on Google here: https://support.google.com/business/answer/2911778?hl=en Otherwise you won;t show up in those local listings highlighted in the search results.

2 - Hit the pavement. Online is great, but there is no substitute for face to face. Hit local builders, jobsites, and purchasing agents. Many companies still want their subs licensed, bonded and insured, so you'll have a chance against Flybynight Roofing Inc, who hires illegals and pays them squat.

3 - Look at the local building permit lists. Most areas have a place where you can see building permit listings. There is all kinds of helpful project info there, such as permit value, new construction or renovation, contact info, and site address. It's a lead goldmine, but not always free.

The advice to note bad roof addresses when you're driving around is great, too. Make not of more, though. How do their property and vehicles look? If their yard looks pretty good, and they have newer vehicles (in good shape), they are a likely roof candidate. If their cars are 20 years old and look poorly cared for, their house is falling apart, and their yard is unkempt, they probably can't afford a new roof.

If you have any local, privately owned hardware and building supply stores remaining in your area, talk to them about marketing or getting on a contractor list.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Those roofs from the 90's are probably spent. Visit them. Visit their neighbors. Anybody that can truly sell themselves needs nothing more than a business card.

I expect to hear a ton of backlash but a web site is a lazy way to collect leads. It works yes, but nothing will work better for a roofer than knocking doors.

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
Those roofs from the 90's are probably spent. Visit them. Visit their neighbors. Anybody that can truly sell themselves needs nothing more than a business card.

I expect to hear a ton of backlash but a web site is a lazy way to collect leads. It works yes, but nothing will work better for a roofer than knocking doors.

Agree and disagree.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Don't go crazy putting money into a website unless you can afford it. To get better answers you should do an introduction post and let people here know where you are.

In my area the web traffic comes mainly from vacation home owners. The 'locals' (about 50% of the population) tend to be older and less technology savvy so they go on door hangers, cards, flyers and heavily from networking. The makeup of your customer base will tell you how to target people.

As someone else said: drive around and look for roofs with problems. I do that same thing all the time and send postcards to the address.

·
Registered
7 Posts
There is some good information here already and certainly getting out there for roofers and knocking on doors when trying to find customers in a new area is a must. It is also now today in my opinion, just equally important to have an online presence. Affordability of a good website today is very accessible and social media accounts can be setup in minutes. This online presence - with the opportunities of branding, marketing and inbound enquiries in addition to actually going out there and looking for business, has to be the way forward. It also provides potential customers on who you are and what you do.

www.qatarconstructionreview.com

·
Registered
819 Posts
a good website should be the 1st thing you do......dont cheap out....a $1,500 website got me 1 job a month while a $5,000 website gets me 8 jobs a month...

join the local builder associations and go to their meetings and network.....find some GC's

·
Registered
7 Posts
Certainly if you decide to build a website for your business then it must look good and function very well.

Our website was built from scratch by a company because we wanted bespoke, nice lean look, coupled with great functionality for what is required.

I would imagine that we paid more for what you cannot see at first glance (multimedia company profiles etc).

We did pay several thousand pounds in the end and it was fun getting the quotes: from £1,000 to £50,000 - all given the same brief and instructions...

However, I would recommend having a look at some WordPress or Joomla templates if you do not require / want bespoke.

Good luck!

www.qatarconstructionreview.com | construction companies in Qatar

·
Marketing Consultant
35 Posts
I agree with many here that these days you must have a web presence. I also agree with many here when they say that an effective web marketing strategy can get pretty expensive -- specially if you are new to internet marketing and don't know the lingo or how to shop for services. There are tons of SEO companies and lead generation services out there promising you just about anything (including the famous "your site on Google Page 1" pitch)

So what we really recommend is that you first crunch your numbers and figure out what is your marketing budget. How much can your realistically spend in marketing and what would be an allowable lead cost for your specific business. Hint: ideally that number is about 10% to 15% of your ADL (average dollar per lead)

Once you have a pretty good idea on how much you can spend. it gets much easier to shop around for services and even negotiate pay-per-performance deals with local media and other vendors.

While sorting your options, beware of any SEO, Marketing company or advertiser that wants to tie you in a contract or charge upfront fees without giving you any performance guarantee. And by performance guarantee I mean qualified leads -- not just "clicks", "impressions", "traffic", "engagement", "reach", "fans and followers", Google rankings or any such performance measurements-- because these aren't the most relevant to your goal.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Make sure you brand your company and always present your employees, your business, and your presentation acumen in a highly professional manner. Hit the phones, make visits, research (if possible) on which contracts are currently existing with the hotels

Amite
http://www.NYSunrise.com

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
Just because this thread was brought up,

My appointment tonight called me initially because of a yard sign. He also told me that he's seen them all around, seen our trucks, gotten our mailers and heard our radio ads.

Marketing is a whole system of things working together to get that phone to ring.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Just because this thread was brought up,

My appointment tonight called me initially because of a yard sign. He also told me that he's seen them all around, seen our trucks, gotten our mailers and heard our radio ads.

Marketing is a whole system of things working together to get that phone to ring.
Absolutely Bam Bam also---- marketing is something we do ALL THE TIME , not just when work slows down--- but all the time, especially when we are BUSY.

it is what makes sure that we don't ever really slow down
Stephen

1 - 20 of 27 Posts