Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently started a landscaping buisness. I feel like I hit a plateau. The calls just haven't been coming in. I mostly use craigslist posting ads once a day. Any other ideas to ring in some buisness. (I think commercial is out of the question for now because I am not insured yet.)

·
Premium Member
1,120 Posts
Watrousbrothers said:
So I recently started a landscaping buisness. I feel like I hit a plateau. The calls just haven't been coming in. I mostly use craigslist posting ads once a day. Any other ideas to ring in some buisness. (I think commercial is out of the question for now because I am not insured yet.)
Dear lord, have you priced general liability insurance. It's DIRT CHEAP. Craigslist? And the phone isn't ringing off the hook? Post your ad so we can see what's wrong. Lol

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks !

I didn't look into it yet I use USAA for my personal stuff I just didn't get a quote yet. Because my buisness is so small I didn't think id be able to afford it. But I will check now!

·
Accidental Painter
2,292 Posts
Might want to check your state laws. Pretty sure in most states, you aint a bidniz till you get insured and sole propriertship papers at the least.

Eerie insurance: general liability 1mil/2mil is $80 a month for me.

Become a bidnaz on paper soon. Otherwise your just another unemployed bum skimming the system. And that is exactly how customers will value you. Non-legit guys attract the worst clients. Legit guys attract the best clients.

You aint mowing my grass unless I know you got insurance to pay for when you toss a rock through my siding...

·
Accidental Painter
2,292 Posts
Ok cool man. What kind of landscaping? Maybe pick a thing and specialize. Like lawncare, or another area.

I would say create a target audience first. Once you know all about them (location, income, lifestyle, etc...) you can narrow your marketing down like a laser. Once you do that you'll be in a great position.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As of now its just residential. Maintenance mostly. Im doing the buisness kind of part time because I work on a ambulance 3 12 hr shifts a week. So i would like to have at least 2 packed days of lawns but its been slow growing.

·
Premium Member
1,120 Posts
I can't have this conversation politely so please excuse my attitude. Craigslist is full of retards with no insurance that only work 2 days a week. The customers that look on craigslist are looking for cheap and fast. Get insured.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah i get the idea i appreciate the input. Its my first year of business witch i do part time do to my day job on a ambulance. I had to start some where. Being that i didnt have any start up capitol i thought CL would be a good place to start. With this all said my question still is. Where do I advertise in place of CL. Do I pay the newspaper or is that to out dated. do i use the internet? Email marketing?

·
Accidental Painter
2,292 Posts
For lawncare you should try this: Lawn signs, truck lettering, and last but not least door hangers.

Be aggressive, and use the rule of 3. For every lawn you cut, go talk to the neighbor to the left, right, and across the street. If they are not home, leave a door hanger. Your door hanger should say something like: We will cut your lawn for $xx this includes edging, and blowing off sidewalks/driveways.

When I first broke into handyman, i took on lawncare. I had about 2 dozen lawns just by talking to the neighbors. If I saw them outside, I yell over and ask if they wanted me to do their lawn next. It's a great icebreaker. Stop and talk to the neighbors. It was not unusual for me to get one house on a street through advertising, then take over the block once I got there.

Be professional looking, and use professional equipment. Lawncare equipment cost are outrageous. It's hard to start with a full on truck w/ a trailer loaded with a $5k zero turn and weedeaters. But strive to work your way up to that. Show up with a clean push mower, weedeater, and leaf blower. Heck around here I can go to rent a center and get a riding mower for cheap if need be. Look into that so you have a rider for the bigger lawns.

A clean nice truck is a must. It doesn't have to be new, but don't show up in a beater. Any of this make sense?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Yea definitely get off cl I started there got a few clients but ended up loosing out in the long run. If you're not busy right now your doing something wrong. My main source of jobs is property management companies they don't offer the recurring work for you but would probably give you a larger clean up. Also take the advice image is everything and sad to say your fighting people who aren't valued. Lawn signs and door hangers but I personally would not put a price down as it gives them the opportunity not to call you and you need them to call and then you sell what you provide and that is piece of mind and quality.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
97 Posts
Go into the company in person give out cards I started my whole business off a crappie flyer made in publisher printed at the library. Been in business 14 months. Also have your paperwork printed and give them a copy with your flyer that's your license bond insurance.

·
Registered
97 Posts
FYI don't go in the first 5 days of the month most of the time they are so busy your proposal gets tossed or buried in papers. Let everyone pay rent and then the move outs notify and you will be right on point to grab something. Perhaps look for a general that might sub you for other things I recently had a few yard things come up but didn't have the equipment

·
Problem Solver
24 Posts
Every customer will scream they want prices up front and hate that they have to call you - do not worry about that - the point is they are talking to you. As soon as you give a number somebody will beat it- period. So unless you plan on making nothing then hold to no numbers until you look and see what is actually the job and do not be too fast to drop just to get busier. If there is no profit then busy is not a plus.

Reactions: Watrousbrothers

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks. Thats very true. I've screwed my self a few times already trying to give low numbers. Not happening again. Lol so you thing I shouldn't give a price on door hangers though ?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts