Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after doing full service remodeling work for a few years, I've come to realize that my strength lie in in finish carpentry, and I really enjoy it much more than most of the work I do. I would like to focus my business on doing more of this, rather than standard remodel work.

Does anyone have any tips for moving towards this? Obviously, word of mouth is the best, but my last 5 jobs have been baths, and it seems to keep going that way.

I plan on getting my truck lettered at some point, and have been thinking about changing my business name to something that speaks more to carpentry work as well.

Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Your Smart Marketing Guru
20 Posts
If you want to invest in marketing for carpenters then you have to start by having a web presence, meaning you have to put up your own website for your business. Since the rise of technology and mobile devices, almost everyone already depends on the internet. You can build your brand and have a simple but professional-looking website. You can do this yourself if you have a background on it or hire someone to do it for you.

You also need to stay on top of SEO and be able to offer continuous flow of fresh, unique, valuable and quality content that in beneficial to your target customers.

Don’t forget to also set-up social media accounts because billions of people spend most of their time here. Go and build a valuable relationship with your clients or customers and if you do, a non-stop repeat and referral system might just happen. How is this? It’s actually simple, if they liked you and your business, why wouldn’t they share with their families and friends. Just like what you said, "word of mouth is still the best" and you can have this through social media marketing.

Reactions: elecbysullivan

·
Registered
551 Posts
Hate to bum you out but there isn't a market for just trim carpentry unless you work for the rich.
^wrong.

As an easy start,
I would talk to the tract home builders in your area if you want to run full time production finish work.
I would also talk to your trim suppliers and pass them your cards, if you want to do more crown molding or built in bookcase type stuff.

·
Registered
31 Posts
In some ways finish carpentry might be easier to market than general remodeling, because you offer services for which their are very specific key words, like: crown molding, wainscoting, floorboards, stair railing, etc. That is to say, people are searching Google using these highly specific words.

The first, and perhaps least expensive, thing I would suggest to do is to set-up a Google+ (Google My Business) page, with a very detailed description of your services, and lots of photos. I'd then do the same for Houzz and Yelp. You can do all of this yourself in about 2 hours.

·
Vendor
28 Posts
The rule of thumb is that you always want to specialize, when possible. The old addage is that you make more of an impact with a spike that a board.

If you want to do trim, do trim, but remember that your keywords and content (that needs to be posted regularly to your website) needs to reflect those search terms.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So after posting this, I changed my business name. Previously it was Agosto Renovations, I changed it to Aaron Agosto Custom Carpentry and Home Improvements.

I updated the facebook page with this info, and set up a houzz account, since then I have been getting alot more leads asking for carpentry work. Most of which have come from people who have found me online.

·
Vendor
28 Posts
Right on man!

So do you have a website? I know there's believers and doubters, but the fact of the matter is, your website is like your own personal salesman that works 24/7. It's all about branding. Just like soup (Campbell's) and tissue (Kleenex).

Next step is to get a website. If you already have one, great. The next step after that is to post content, content, content--relevant to your targeted keywords and geo location. If you're targeting long tail keywords (trim carpenter pittsburg/custom carpenter pittsburg) you can rank within a few months (probably, depending on certain variables).

Give your visitors/users a great, informative experience, and they'll keep coming back for more.

·
Shelburne Reno
13 Posts
The first, and perhaps least expensive, thing I would suggest to do is to set-up a Google+ (Google My Business) page, with a very detailed description of your services, and lots of photos.
This is a must if you have not done it? It can be a bit confusing to set up. But its free and you can optimize it for carpentry and your target locations.

Do you have it set up?

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is a must if you have not done it? It can be a bit confusing to set up. But its free and you can optimize it for carpentry and your target locations.

Do you have it set up?
Yeah I set it up a few days ago. How do you optimize for locations?

·
Shelburne Reno
13 Posts
Yeah I set it up a few days ago. How do you optimize for locations?
1)Use the keywords and locations you want to target naturally in the introduction part.

2)Add as many photos as you can. I think you can have 10. Rename the photo to 10 different keywords before you upload them. For example... "carpenter in Pittsburgh" use other local areas also which people may use to search. Use a different keyword per photo.

3) Use the Google+ account linked to your page and post to that account. Don't do this for every post, but mention keywords and location in a natural way in the post. You can also post events and cool things happen in the area you are targeting. This would be a natural way to get the different areas in your posts.

4) Ask for reviews and ask them to leave the area the job was in in the review. It's not that hard to work in a location in a review.( sidenote: If they don't have a Google account I ask for a Facebook review, won't help your Google listing, but hard to get people to create account, leave a review and have it stick)

5) Post video slide shows of your work on the YouTube account linked to the Google listing and name the video "Carpentry in Pittsburgh" Add a link in the description back to your Google listing and mention all the towns and keywords in the tags and description on the video. Make several videos targeting different locations. They don't need to be perfect videos and only a minute or 2 long. You can make the video in Windows Movie Maker or find a gig on Fiverr.com and have one made for $5.

It will take time, but if you do all that your listing will show up. Take some time and do some keyword research first to get good keywords to target. That is important don't skip that step.

·
Shelburne Reno
13 Posts
One more thing, when you get a keyword do the search yourself in google and see the local listing which show up. Look at the top listing and see what they have going on. You may not need to much to get to the top in small towns and cities.

Also target the money towns and areas, but you knew that ;)

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
I wouldnt put locations into the description. Forgot where I read it, search engine land, hubspot, rands site, Neil Patel, Mark Traphagen, or maybe the local search forum, some sort of place like that....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts