Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am wondering is there a market for small custom 1200 to 1500 sq ft homes with simple roof lines? or small homes base on historical architecture? most builders around here are building large mcmansion which has no style and lose there value to quickly.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
A builder that I used to do a lot of work for, was very successful at building upscale little ranchers.
They really appealed to older people, looking to down size for one reason or another. (no stairs)
They liked the fancy trim and crown, hardwood floors, , etc.
The builder then went onto larger family type homes, two story etc, and went broke.
Older people have money , young families generally do not. They are going to go for the cheap one, adding fancy stuff later.
There seemed to be a niche in the market for that type of home.

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
I have always thought there is a market for simple, quality built homes. Nothing huge but just right. Something people who are able to afford that just right house but cannot force themselves to purchase an existing home.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
the ones we were doing were basic .Two car garage ,trimmed out. Three bed two bath , nice kitchen with granite sometimes, hardwood, carpet in bedrooms,
Crown, chair rail, Plinth blocks, architrave,
1100 sq and up.
Put a lot of lipstick on it.

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
Small custom is basically my niche. Not very custom, but stand out compared to spec and tract by having deliberate decisions that raise the cost to make them more energy efficient, lower maintenance, and a little different. Generally the exteriors are very basic, but inside is nicer than the average for the area. Semi-custom cabinets, radiant heat, stained concrete, lots of tile.

This is in Fairbanks, Alaska, where everything is a little different though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.