Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

marble in a steam room

14K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  Master Mechanic 
#1 ·
I am about to install marble tile in a steam room. Does anyone have expert advice about marble in steam rooms??

#2 ·
Not first hand but I can tell you about my sister in law's boss who had very nice imported Italian marble put in his steam room... or sauna one (I forget) anyway, Had to pull it out and put cedar. He scalded his ars when he sat down on it. :laughing:
Keep us posted.

#6 · (Edited)
Several things to be aware of

water and vapor proof the bejesus out of the walls and ceiling then do it again just to make sure.

slope the ceiling at least a 3/ 12 to prevent raining on the occupant

Use a steam rated shower door

Make sure the steam outlet slopes either toward the steam unit of towards the outlet with nothing that resembles a trap.

Make sure the steam generator is properly sized for the space and wall materials.

Oh Marble is no problem just use a quality modified thinset compatable with the marble.

#7 ·
Several things to be aware of

water and vapor proof the bejesus out of the walls and ceiling then do it again just to make sure.

slope the ceiling at least a 3/ 12 to prevent raining on the occupant

Use a steam rated shower door

Make sure the steam outlet slopes either toward the steam unit of towards the outlet with nothing that resembles a trap.

Make sure the steam generator is properly sized for the space and wall materials.

Oh Marble is no problem just use a quality modified thinset compatable with the marble.
The Tile Council of North America says "minimum 2" per foot

#9 ·
To answer the OP's question, I'd rather go with a porcelain, but if you must, choose a marble that is consistent and free of soft veins as the steam can cause problems with those types of marble. Also make sure the install is properly maintained. Hard water will affect marble as will certain cleaners and sealers won't help with those issues.

#12 · (Edited)
Its a steam shower its going to rain.

I think that even the 2" slope is over kill especially in a small residential unit I have done 4 projects with these and haven't heard any complaints.

I will be having one installed this month in a remodel I'm doing and the shower is only 3"6"x5' with an 7' ceiling and a 15" drop would be too much.

With the length of the steams being taken (less than 20min.) I don't think it will be a problem using a 1"/ Ft. slope in this shower.

I'll let you know what we decide.

#21 ·
Its a steam shower its going to rain.

I think that even the 2" slope is over kill especially in a small residential unit I have done 4 projects with these and haven't heard any complaints.

I will be having one installed this month in a remodel I'm doing and the shower is only 3"6"x5' with an 7' ceiling and a 15" drop would be too much.

With the length of the steams being taken (less than 20min.) I don't think it will be a problem using a 1"/ Ft. slope in this shower.

I'll let you know what we decide.
I would go with at least a 2" per ft. Did one once with 1" - and it dripped. Next one we did with 2" - no problem

#13 · (Edited)
I am about to install marble tile in a steam room. Does anyone have expert advice about marble in steam rooms??
Disregard everything else until you answer these things -

What color is the marble?

Do you know why this important?

Expert advice starts with you being able to answer those 2 questions before anything else even begins to matter.

#23 ·
Do not install the marble in this steam room without a waiver.

Back in 2001 I saw 1st hand what a pourus tile can do in a hot shower, not even a steam room. The mortar turned the porous tile gray. It was a beige tile and in 2 months it turned gray 2 feet off of the shower base. It looked horrible.

I've installed 2 steam showers and from everything that i read, a procelain tile is the way to go. Its a moisture blocker and has a non porous surface.

Good luck with the project

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.