Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I love the stuff. I found it sprays best (like all waterbornes) at 70 degrees or better. When the temp drops its viscosity goes up. I also found it likes to spray and lay out best when I use a 2.0 tip and don't reduce it any. I used to spray it with a 1.7 and about 10-20% water. I am am pretty much a Target Coatings fan. The only thing I found is it tends to get get dirty quick unless its topcoated with something like the EM7000 or 9000...although I am thinking if I waxed it that would hold off the dirt as well.

·
Registered
16 Posts
As usual, nice work and nice pics. What's in the mason jar? Zinser BIN? I use that as well, but only for plywood. I wish there was a latex base that hid grain just as well. I'm spoiled with the ease of latex cleanup and low odor.

·
Wormdrive Operator
3,318 Posts
How did you join the maple boards together? I am just starting to experiment with fine woodworking and am curious how with just 3 clamps you are able to keep the boards from twisting or bowing during glue-up, and perfectly flat?

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Any special tips for getting finishing done as the weather gets colder? I don't see a spray booth so I assume you just open your doors up and spray. I don't have an HVLP setup, I just use a siphon gun and it puts a lot of dust into the air. If I don't either get it sucked out or move the piece somewhere else for drying I'm in trouble. Do you have any of the same issues?

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Its all waterborne....so nothing is explosive or smelly (except for shellac when I do use that but I don't spray it in large quantity or at a high psi...)

This is how I spray when is cool out. The shop is heated with propane.

There is an exhaust fan on the other side of the filters. The filters collect the over spray, every now and then I walk outside and blow them out with a blow gun. The air is just circulating with-in the shop.

That in itself does a remarkably good job...compared to nothing anyway. I also wear respirator. I used to wear a half mask, but I just upped to a full face for the hell of it.

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Cool. I'm working on devising some kind of spraying setup. Was thinking of pulling air from outside and sending it back out the other end. Never considered circulating it withing the shop. That would help with the heat issue. Thanks for posting the pics.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts