Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a tile over tile job coming up. Existing tile - a mud job in pristine condition.

For those who have used this product, how did it work out for you, your experience with it ?

·
Registered
77 Posts
I've laid tile on tile, then decided I'd rather have a wood floor, glued that down then my wife came home hated the wood floor so I tiled over that!!! Love Eco prim!!

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
I'm curious whenever I have had to tile over existing tile I just grind off the glaze with a dustless cup grinder. How is eco prim better?

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
I've used it a few times on small bath floors. Floors have all been solid with no cracks.

I belt sand the tile to scratch the glaze and to remove the cleaning products.

I've ground off glaze,too. Eco is so much nicer.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
To me it's the theory of say a wire mesh, just provides a better " grip" for thinset.
No I haven't used it yet, elastomeric with aggregate , something to that effect .
I still like to rough up surface due to possible bond breakers .

·
Registered
11,554 Posts
I have a tile over tile job coming up. Existing tile - a mud job in pristine condition.

For those who have used this product, how did it work out for you, your experience with it ?
I used it on two floors back in December. So far so good. Almost too good to be true. Time will tell.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks a lot for the input. I have to order it in the AM.

I used to belt sander to prep before. I think I'll just give a quick pass or so with a pad sander, wipe clean and apply.

·
Carpe Diem
20,742 Posts
Eco Prim is designed to grip a tiled surface. There's no need to grind tile before using. It's better because it is faster, cleaner than grinding and gives a great surface for thinset to grip to when installing the new tile.

You will more easily remove thinset from atop a tiled surface than you will remove Eco Prim, scuffed surface or not. I've gone through almost 20 gallons of Eco Prim and it's an incredible product. I have not used it to install tile over tile....not something I believe in doing but as a primer/bonding agent, it's the cat's ass.

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
angus242 said:
Eco Prim is designed to grip a tiled surface. There's no need to grind tile before using. It's better because it is faster, cleaner than grinding and gives a great surface for thinset to grip to when installing the new tile. You will more easily remove thinset from atop a tiled surface than you will remove Eco Prim, scuffed surface or not. I've gone through almost 20 gallons of Eco Prim and it's an incredible product. I have not used it to install tile over tile....not something I believe in doing but as a primer/bonding agent, it's the cat's ass.
Is this for real?

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I got it, you want better bite more surface area to grip to. I guess they are recommending it for more diverse applications for just tile over tile. Can't remember but I think they recommended it in their moisture mitigation system as well.

·
Carpe Diem
20,742 Posts
It's not a waterproofing like AquaDefense is. You need to make sure any concrete surface is under MVER 5lb/1000 sq ft and it's good to go. But you won't use it on a shower pan.

It can be used as a bonding primer when tiling over a gypsum floor.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
After the epoxy system then the Eco prim grip ? Interesting so lightweight concrete confirming all minimum standards are met using prim grip will work for a bond? I almost never run into gyp/con. But good to know.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Here you go. Finished this week.

I'm averse to new products mostly but I called Mapie and checked here. I've scarified in the past too.

It is an amazing product after it sets up --- how it sticks / grip to the glazed surface. I used 2 coats by the way.

Attachments

·
Hair Splitter
18,333 Posts
I've used it a few times on small bath floors. Floors have all been solid with no cracks.

I belt sand the tile to scratch the glaze and to remove the cleaning products.

I've ground off glaze,too. Eco is so much nicer.
Just making sure I understand what you are saying. I was a little confused on what you said you do. Are you saying you belt sand the tile to remove the glaze and then ECO?

Your last statement sounded like you were comparing grinding and ECO as two separate methods, but the belt sanding was in conjunction with ECO.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a tile job in a basement with concrete floors where carpet was pulled up. There was some glue residue in pores of concrete. I applied one coat of eco prim grip but seems to not be completly gray- can see through some of it. Do I really need to add a second coat to make completely not see through?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts