Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been asked to provide a quote to replace block walls that are bowing and cracking underneath a manufactured home.

We do not have many manufactured homes in this area and the last time I did an underpin job was 20 year ago. It is my understanding that a modular homes are swung on by crane and manufactured are parked and set on blocks away from the perimeter and then underpinned? Or is it possible that a manufactured may also have been craned in and set on foundation? If it was craned in and attached and secured to wall in a manner that a modular is then I will need to make plans to have it secured in some manner with wall replacement.

I will need to make a trip to the house to investigate but would anyone care to chime in with there experience?

·
Registered
496 Posts
I’ve never seen a mobile home craned in. The transport companies sometimes have a crawler that can shift the trailer from the ends. Most of the time just driven into place then supported on blocks. Newer homes have to be set on a pad or sometimes into a pit for a more ground set look in my county. Axles are then removed and trailer set down onto support blocking under the frame. I would think that the perimeter blocks are not load bearing but skirting to keep animals out and act as a wind stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
7,007 Posts
I’ve never seen a mobile home craned in. The transport companies sometimes have a crawler that can shift the trailer from the ends. Most of the time just driven into place then supported on blocks. Newer homes have to be set on a pad or sometimes into a pit for a more ground set look in my county. Axles are then removed and trailer set down onto support blocking under the frame. I would think that the perimeter blocks are not load bearing but skirting to keep animals out and act as a wind stop.

A difference between Mobile home and a manufactured home . Mobile are built on the frame, manufactured just use a frame to haul them on then are craned onto the foundation.

·
Registered
496 Posts
A difference between Mobile home and a manufactured home . Mobile are built on the frame, manufactured just use a frame to haul them on then are craned onto the foundation.
I agree, sure looks like every mobile home around. He needs to inspect underneath.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I tend to agree with you here...I dont think the blocks would have caved in if they had weight on them.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here in IN we consider a manufactured and mobile home to be on a steel frame and a modular home to be the type that is craned on and pretty much framed like a normal home.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So yesterday I went and double checked....it appears there is no weight on perimeter block wall and house is setting on block piers. It scares me how much I need to charge to do this job o_O

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
7,007 Posts
Trailer house! Fake foundation for the bank so it can be called permanent and real property.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts