Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, this may be a bit of a vent but it has to happen.

I'm not going to mention any names here (to protect the innocent).

I had a job to install access control for three(3) doors in three(3) buildings in three(3) different towns all talking on the customers network and using proximity card readers. This can be a little challenging (and was) but the equipment purchased will do it in the best way. Everything installed and is working quite well for 2 weeks or so. Took a little more of my time since it was my first time with this manufacturer and equipment, I don't mind the extra time since I view it as OJT.

I was then asked by the customer to install a remote button to unlock one of the doors. The system is designed for this and it is just a matter of installing a N.O button and connect it to two terminals. Then just change the programming so that when it gets a contact closure on these terminal the panel will flip the relay and unlock the door. Piece-o-Cake!!

Well almost. Pressing the button caused the processor to lock up and did not open the door nor did the Prox Cards. After about 8 hours of resetting the panel many many times and reloading the data it was finally determined that the board had a problem and needs to be replaced. New board is on the way from the distributor, should have on Monday for replacement. Hopefully all will go well.

Now for the venting.........................

It was told to me by one of the Tech Support guys that they have noticed this problem on other boards from time to time. They have not been able to re-produce the problem in the shop. Sometimes after re-load of data the panel starts to work. They can not find the problem.

So, now that I have spent over 8 hours working on this problem and if the new board works and all is well (another 2 hours) what compensation do I get out of my time spent?? Very unlikely the Manufacture is not going to volunteer any compensation and how much venting would I have to do to get someone to agree with me may not be worth the time.

What I am looking for is thoughts from others that may have been faced with this kind of issue and did you ever get properly compensated??

OK, End Vent.

Thanks,

Les
 

·
DGR,IABD
Joined
·
9,683 Posts
I guess there was a question in there somewhere, but I suppose the greater value of that post was in being able to get that off your chest.

I would be quite curious to know who's system this was? Did you make sure you put your own advertising sticker on the door so that everyone knows who installed this "fine" system? :cheesygri

I read in one manufacturer's instruction that all RTE button cables should be twisted to cancel out any induced voltage. Did you by chance use UTP on this RTE button, or was it regular parallel zip cord or something like that? Just a thought. Maybe the RTE button leads are picking up an induced volt or two that's spiking the board.

Best I got...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The imbedded questions were here:

:cool: So, now that I have spent over 8 hours working on this problem and if the new board works and all is well (another 2 hours) what compensation do I get out of my time spent?? Very unlikely the Manufacture is not going to volunteer any compensation and how much venting would I have to do to get someone to agree with me may not be worth the time.

What I am looking for is thoughts from others that may have been faced with this kind of issue and did you ever get properly compensated?? :cool:

I was just asking if anyone has gotten compensated for their time from the MFG for time spent on defective equipment??


As for the wire used, it is not UTP but is a single pair 18 ga. stranded wire that has a twist. I also thought there might have been some induced voltage that was causing the problem. Checked with digtal meter on both AC and DC and the voltage was in the <.200v AC and DC range. On a 60 foot run that would be expected. Ohms was 2.2 when button was pushed. Again normal for the wire resistance.

As for putting my name on the can, yes. It is very embarrassing to say the least. However, I have noticed that if something is going to go bad or belly up it will happen within the first 2 weeks. Otherwise it will last forever....................unless influenced by some other outside force.

Les
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
ABLE1 said:
I was just asking if anyone has gotten compensated for their time from the MFG for time spent on defective equipment??
Marginally related/useful information - during most of college I worked for Sherwin Williams, and although it was extremely rare, I can recall I think twice maybe that the store/company did compensate a painter for a problem. The one I remember was a case where the part on the can that the handle is attached to actually sheared off of the can, dumping paint all over whoever's home was being painted. My recollection is that SW paid for the new carpet directly, and then compensated the painter for the lost hours. I think the hours lost compensation came in the form of store credit, though, not cash.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Latest update:

Expressed my concern to local sales rep. He requested a list of the products I use and indicated he would bless me with product to make me feel good.

Have not received any packages as yet.

I am am a patient person.......................for the moment.

Les
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top