Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys, I am looking to buy a manual rebar cutter-bender; the type with up to #5 capacity. Here are the ones I've found and the approximate prices.

HK Porter, $400
HIT, $350
Tolman, $300
Jet, $235
Northern Tool, $200

Any comments on any of these? Is the Jet ok, or is one of the others a definite step up?

·
Registered
686 Posts
There may be differing opinions on this, but I would stay away from the open jaw type, they have all seemed less than ideal for me. The cast iron heads that you feed from either side are, in my mind, much better. The yellow one, I think it goes by Kraft now, or I think Bon sells one as well. Although I picked up a used BN electric/hydraulic on ebay a few years back, and I'm sold. The manual ones are ok for 1/2", but if you need to pump out a lot of 5/8", spend the extra $ for the hydraulic...good luck

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am going to stay with #4 and below on this. The only ones I found by Bon and Kraft were the "hickey bar" type benders. Whereas I need a bender-cutter.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Go to Southern-Tool.com....under construction equipment, you will see rebar, cutting and bending....lots of options under manual tools....for half inch, any of these should be excellent....I like the Kraft for its bending abilities, some of the others have that as well...

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the tip. Their most intriguing option is the "T-Cut Rebar Cutter and Bender" for $299 and made in USA. Anyone tried this one?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Bon Tool actually has 2 models. I've tried the "Closed Head" design and like it a lot. I bought it from a Home Depot at the Rental Counter. The other one they have on their web site (Open Head Style) looks like it is good too, but I don't know enough about it. I've seen the Kraft one too...but I think it is really just a Tolman unit.

Bon Tool's part numbers are 12-359 and 12-690. Kraft's number is GG725. As I was looking this up I just realized the price difference too. Kraft's unit is listed almost 2x as much as the Bon one I bought. I think I paid $250 for it, and Kraft had on their web site for $570!

·
Registered
908 Posts
I know this is a little older post, but I have the Bon closed hub, and wouldn't personally buy another one. It's almost impossible to cut 5/8" with, and it wont bend a full 90 degrees without taking an extra "bite". The one I used for years before was my dad's, and it looks much like the Tolman unit. I know for a fact that one probably cut & bent dozens of tons of 5/8" with minimal upkeep to it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts