Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am re-doing a fireplace for a client. New stone over the ugly brick and a new mantel. Should the stone continue under the mantel or should it butt up to the mantel?

I'm assuming that I should build the mantel and then stone right up to the side of the mantel, cutting the stone with a straight edge. Of course, if I was not resurfacing the brick with stone I would have to go over the old brick.

I'm confused!

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
There is no single application that applies to all design, we need details, mantle mat, Stone veneer, size, ht , width, Stone corbels could be installed while doing the stone work, then sit mantle right on top. SO MANY WAYS, thats what makes it so cool...GMOD

·
Registered
Design/Build Remodeling
6,590 Posts
The Mason says the stone goes up first! He dosen't want to scribe to the wood. :laughing:

Funny Gene and I thought the OP was asking an aesthetic question! :eek:

But I stand by my answer "it depends on height, depth and complexity". If its low enough a wood scribe is less noticable. If it's complex a wood scribe is easier to do. If it's a store bought mantle and only 4" deep, a 3" stone butting to it would look silly.

We still need more info.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Have to agree with DaV and GMOD, no one way is correct....first, what kind of stone? If it is three pieces of honed granite, it is a breeze...if it is rough fieldstone, it is a, well, less than a breeze. I'm guessing stick on stone, so somewhere in between...the way it is worded, someone is going to work twice as long as they anticipated, either the scriber or the stone cutter...have them wrestle, and the winner picks... I personally would cut the stone under the top, where it is less visible, and scribe on the sides, that looks far craftier than a cold joint running up a nice mantel piece...

·
Registered
161 Posts
We always have the mantle set before applying stone. This makes the mantle appear as though it was laid directly in stone as stone went on. (More of a real stone appearance.) Just remember to allow yourself the thickness of your stone when mounting mantle on wall

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,686 Posts
Yes, it is so much harder to scribe mortar to wood that is is to scribe wood to stone.

I would still apply the mantle after the stone work is done. You can cover some of the stone with the wood. I have found leaving a nice straight edge above the stone to be more eye appealing that to scribe to the stone and have a very un-straight line. I have done it both ways, in an older home (18th century) I would scribe, but in newer places I would leave it straight.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, Here it is. The project frew to include built on cabinets wall to wall.

Still to go Sanding, Caulking, Prime, Paint, Stone.

I decided to do the stone last. Will cut flush to the mantel.

I'll post a finished picture when done.

Thanks for your replies!

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts