Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have the next two weeks off from my "primary" employer to complete a living room re-trim. We plan on wrapping up some of the shop work this week and doing to install all next week. This job came from word of mouth and a visit to his neighbor for which I performed some work about a year ago.
http://www.contractortalk.com/f30/foyer-trim-out-96974/

Current Space

Images client supplied as a general idea/inspiration of what they want

Proposed Designs

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

Mantel is in

Glued and tacked up 1/4" primed MDF to the wall and then assembled the 1x6 frame on the ground, lifted in place and nailed it off.

Attached some nailers to the wall and popped the over mantel pilasters up.

Popped the head on.

Moved on to the built-in just to clear some space in the garage.

Laid-out and install some of the brackets for the coffer. They are glued, tacked in the place and then finally screwed off to whatever I could get. All but a few reached at least two trusses. The rest only reached one.

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

The coffer will flush out with the hall wall. There will be crown run around that hall at some future date.

Random shot looking down from the scaffold

Installed blocking above the ceiling so I had plenty of support for this middle bracket, as it will support a ceiling fan. I plan on solid blocking and then throwing a long ledger lok or something that will run all the way into the blocking I installed on the trusses in the attic...overkill? I think so.

Finally started putting on bottoms today

Nailed them up, and shimmed them down as needed to give the illusion of a flat ceiling...this is by far the worse ceiling I have ever worked on. It a 1/2" out left to right and 1" out front to back with humps and bumps along the way.

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Assembled the boxes on the ground,

Lifted them in place

All the boxes where cut 1/8" undersize so we would have 1/16" play around each side, I used shims to center it up before nailing it off

The solid blocking and ledger locks for the fan...

Crown was also assembled on the ground, MDF crown is...fussy, duct tape, brads and glue helped hold the joint together during transit up the scaffold.

This was about 1:45 and where my phone ran out of enough juice to power up the camera.

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)

Saved the cut-outs from the new light locations and reused it to patch the old holes

Stained the top yesterday, it's General Finishes Brown Mahogany, I am top-coating it tonight in my garage...its kinda messy in there.
I am top coating with Rustoleum Ultimate Poly, I find the stuff sprays good of my HVLP gun with a 1.8mm tip straight from the can and drys quick.

·
Registered
11,192 Posts
Your a talented guy, nice work.
I know alot of these new home developements are in desperate need of some trim work. I bet you will be in demand in the neighborhood.

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, I figure that should be my target if I pushed myself to go back out on my own...the biggest thing I like about working for another company right now is exposure to different people with different ideas and different aspects of construction...There really is no substitution for working under or with other people, you learn so much and so quickly.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
your fired!!!!!!!!!!, thats the kind of crap you do, kid you need to work for your self that stuff is to good, you have a skill, a talent you need to charge for it not some one else!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts