Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A subcontractor has installed a mannington commercial tile, Cameo, which is a felt backed product. They come in 18 X 18 tiles. The product has been discontinued by Mannington Commercial, and was supplied to me by the owner. The recommended glue (Mannington V-85) has also been discontinued, so we used a Mappai product that was considered an equivalent. I now have floors that are bubbling, tiles that are expanding, and edges that are curling, due to growing tiles. During our repairs, we tried different installation techniques, wet set, pressure, putting weights on tiles after installation, but to no avial. 85% of the floor is down and holding great, mostly in smaller areas like bathrooms, hallways, offices. Larger rooms seem to be where the majority of the problem is. I have a real problem that we the installer, contractor, owner, sales reps(mappai), are all scratching our heads to figure out. I believe it is the product that is dimensionally unstable, and hate to keep wasting time and money working with it.
Does anyone have experience with this product?

·
Carpe Diem
20,693 Posts
Instead of talking with Mapei reps, why not talk to Mannington reps? Maybe there was a reason it was discontinued....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Angus

We have and they offer very little helpful info since the product was discontinued several years ago. Why was it discontinued...they won't really say.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Changes

Johnsonite also changes thier adhesives all the time. We can't get good information from them, either. They probably just take the lowest cost supplier, not what works the best. Why else would they keep changing, if it worked well?

·
Flooring Installer
796 Posts
This product was never released for sale. What you have is a product that should have been destroyed.

·
Knowledge Factory
1,359 Posts
Temperature causes expansion and contraction with rubber.
Dusty tiles. Dusty substrate. lack of rolling to transfer, if using a pressure sensitive. Too much open time if it is urethane adhesive. Moisture. Those can all cause the tiles to debond, when expansion goes beyond compressions capabilities.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts