Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a call back a few months back from a major commercial management company asking would I go fix something at a big chain store.

The terms were that you submit an invoice and get paid 60 days later, maybe more depending on where in the month you send in your invoice.

Then the company asked me to set up a profile with them, submit insurance etc as there may be more jobs... which I did.
Then the jobs started coming in at a rate of 1 or 2 a week.

I'm up in Canada and the management company is in Kansas. The big chain store I'm doing the jobs at is a Canadian yoga clothing company.

The jobs were not difficult physically demanding jobs, so I quite liked doing them. Drive here, fix that, send in your bill.

Cheques started arriving, and it had been a good couple of months by now. But the 1st check I got was not for the 1st job I'd done. It was the 6th job or something like that. Which set off a red flag.

So I contacted the rep I'd been dealing with the most about this, and it's a s*it show! The invoices I've sent in for the signed off and completed jobs have mostly just sat on their desk and not got as far as accounting.

This is about 20 days ago now, and there have been assurances that they will take care of all this. Some of it they have sent to accounting, but they just seem to have stopped bothering! and there's still about 6k that there's no word of.

Now it's them saying their system is down, or blah blah excuse.

I'm really surprised as they are a big player in the North American commercial management business, I felt reasonably confident that they would be professional to deal with. I'm wondering if there are people higher up in the company that I should contact about the reps crap handling of this.

I'm not sure what to do next. I have the emails, pictures and the sign off sheets, signed by the manager to say the jobs were competed to their satisfaction.

I guess I could go to court over it or something, put a lean on the yoga store address? Anyone have any ideas on this one?

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
See if you can contact someone in accounting, see if your account is set up wrong. See if you can find your contacts supervisor and ping him. I work for a huge prop mgmt company, we have procedures, and we have an occasional issue, but we also realize that we need happy vendors. PM me wit( the name of the prop mgmt company you are dealing with, if it’s my company i can get you contact info.

·
Commercial Contractor
Commercial Contracting
2,046 Posts
Sadly that is par for the course working for large or even medium sized commercial corporations, be it developers or management.

Even if it’s net 30 days that’s simply a nice way of saying 30-45. 60 isn’t unusual and 90 is about the limit they will let things float. You need to stay on top of them and after 60 remind them of the late fee should the invoice not be paid in the next window.

Saying that, most all of my repair work is paid within 45 days. Capital projects are the ones that I know going in I need to float for at least 60 days, as it’s usually a month after I begin that my first invoice begins processing, than I’m always 30-35 days out from there, so you always need to account for that in your draw schedules.

Don’t let them continue to get into you is the simplest answer. Tell the operations manager or whomever you are dealing with that you won’t complete anymore jobs until they are caught up. Coming from experience here, it’s easy to let a bunch of little invoices float and next time you account it’s over 100k.

Bottom line, charge your late fee, that may/should get them to cut the original amount, if they don’t, cut them off until you’re at zero.

·
Registered
6,769 Posts
I had to cut one of the management companies I was working for, they were in a bind I told them the first job was net 15 days, second job 3rd job 60… I explain to them any late fees would be paid by them, I sent them a copy before I would do the first job, they asked me why I had it set up like that and I explained I am unable to put a lien on the property after 90 days!

The second job they went past 90 days even though I got my check I will no longer do work for them!

Now I do work for the client on the side without the management company!

·
Registered
FL CBC / SC RBC / SC RBI
158 Posts
I guess I could go to court over it or something, put a lean on the yoga store address? Anyone have any ideas on this one?
I would go above the rep that is failing you and have a simple conversation with a supervisor about the accounting of the account. You simply need a report that shows all invoices received and their status, ie. Received, pending approval, paid, etc.

Stress the conversation is about avoiding problems, explain you enjoy the work and want to continue but you also have concerns about the way the staff has been handling the paperwork.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I used to offer a five percent prompt pay discount if paid within seven business days.

A lot if companies took advantage of that. I had a few that would take the discount and still take 120 days...but they gave me alot of business at that time.

You just have to figure it in.

Today different business different cliental, everyone pays right away. I don't even give cash discounts... And the few who will use a credit card, I'll upcharge them on the front end.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
I would go above the rep that is failing you and have a simple conversation with a supervisor
It’s difficult in todays world to find small-ish contractors to reliably take care of small jobs, and when you find somebody you want to keep them. That local dude is under pressure from his boss to clear the projects timely. Tell his boss you are ready to continue to do the work, but the slow pay is a serious problem.

·
Registered
Custom
14,987 Posts
The terms were that you submit an invoice and get paid 60 days later, maybe more depending on where in the month you send in your invoice.
There's your ticket right there... if they can figure out how to schedule the jobs for you, getting paid is part of it... the 60 days you agreed to is the delineation point... they either pay a penalty after 60 days (or 75 if you want to figure in their "depending on where in the month you send in your invoice") or work stops until they're caught up... it's the reverse incentive of giving the discount for early pays...

Your justification is simple... "we agreed to 60 days from receipt of invoice (which is plenty of time), and they're routinely going over 60 days, which in our world is a red flag so I'm just looking for clarification... I'm sure the companies fine, but we all have bills to pay, and cashflow makes it all happen and gives me the ability to do the work for you without interruptions"...

Find out what day the "depending on where in the month you send in your invoice" is and be sure to get invoices in by then to remove that excuse...

All going to depend on the balance between what they're giving you in compensation (increase it by 10% to accommodate payment delays), versus your cashflow needs and ability to float it all while holding on to a regular...

·
Registered
8,719 Posts
Never have worked for a management company, but many years ago I contracted with a large printing company.

When I first started working with them, they paid on Friday if the invoice was sent in by Tuesday, then went to 2 weeks.

A few buyouts later, they were the largest printer in North America and payments went to 45- 60 days.

I was good friends with the plant mgr and he told me if I offered a 5% discount corporate would pay in 10 days.

Told him that was BS. We compromised. I raised my prices by 10%.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
197 Posts
I've done work in the same condo complex for customers many times. As a result, there were 2 instances (coinceadentily that occured within 3 weeks of each other) where my work overlapped with work that was the responsibility of the management co. Both times, I submitted proposals, insurance etc. they were ok'd and signed off and I did the work. I was told on smaller stuff once the super comes out to inspect the work, the invoice will be paid.

Both times super comes out, inspects and ok's everything.

After 2 weeks I asked when I could expect payment. I was told,

The woman that approves the invoices was on vacation.
It's in processing
We are updating the system and its on its way
There was a problem with the account and we had to confirm your insurance and license.
The person that signs and mails the checks is having a family issue and won't be back until Monday.

I only received payment after I submitted a second invoice with late charges, finance charges and an hour billed for resubmitting the bill.

Since taht summer I've been pretty good about sniffing out when the "playbook" is being run.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts