Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
wannabe
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I oversee a bunch of properties in a vacation community. This is my first year in this position and I've been doing good, but I'm getting into a crunch with memorial day coming quickly.

I have a lot of people relying on me to keep their schedules and I'm also relying on others to keep everything moving along smoothly. Painters, plumbers, cleaners, landscapers etc...

I've known this spring would be stressful since everyone is busy and we're all trying to get our work done before the summer season. I've really put an effort into planning ahead by putting in lists to subs a month ago trying to be proactive, but HOers wait until the last minute with requests, and notices about their arrival dates. I hate having to keep calling subs to move me up on their schedule. Dealing with staff is easy enough but getting subs to commit "to the day" is a different beast.

I'm the middle man trying to coordinate and keep everyone happy. It's not my nature to think I'm the most important person in the world or that my schedule warrants others to drop what they're doing for me. So the learning curve begins....

I know the majority of the members here live this everyday and to be truthful, I love it! Some words of wisdom would be appreciated!

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
I oversee a bunch of properties in a vacation community. This is my first year in this position and I've been doing good, but I'm getting into a crunch with memorial day coming quickly.

I have a lot of people relying on me to keep their schedules and I'm also relying on others to keep everything moving along smoothly. Painters, plumbers, cleaners, landscapers etc...

I've known this spring would be stressful since everyone is busy and we're all trying to get our work done before the summer season. I've really put an effort into planning ahead by putting in lists to subs a month ago trying to be proactive, but HOers wait until the last minute with requests, and notices about their arrival dates. I hate having to keep calling subs to move me up on their schedule. Dealing with staff is easy enough but getting subs to commit "to the day" is a different beast.

I'm the middle man trying to coordinate and keep everyone happy. It's not my nature to think I'm the most important person in the world or that my schedule warrants others to drop what they're doing for me. So the learning curve begins....

I know the majority of the members here live this everyday and to be truthful, I love it! Some words of wisdom would be appreciated!
You need a handyman. Someone like myself (too bad I'm too far away) You need someone that can do the painting, cleaning, landscaping and other un liscensed trades all at one in one trip. You save money because of having only one trip charge. You get done quicker having one person do multiple things in one trip. The trick is to find someone who will do a good quality job and not just rig something up like the term "handyman" implies.

·
Registered
Custom
12,596 Posts

You are letting the HO's/subs schedule you instead of you scheduling the HO's/subs...

There should be minimum scheduling requirements for HO's... as in, if they schedule a day in advance by one month, the date can be confirmed, and anything under a month they will have to be flexible on the actual day. That said, once a day is provided, it must be met by the sub. You can set whatever parameter you want changing out a month for whatever time period works for you, however, instructions, whether provided in writing or on a website for the management group, you detail whatever parameters you determine...

Best of luck... 8^)

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
You are letting the HO's/subs schedule you instead of you scheduling the HO's/subs...

There should be minimum scheduling requirements for HO's... as in, if they schedule a day in advance by one month, the date can be confirmed, and anything under a month they will have to be flexible on the actual day. That said, once a day is provided, it must be met by the sub. You can set whatever parameter you want changing out a month for whatever time period works for you, however, instructions, whether provided in writing or on a website for the management group, you detail whatever parameters you determine...

Best of luck... 8^)
Or charge a little more and sell the fact that you can meet even the most difficult last minute request from a HO. They want the house cleaned by 7am tomorrow morning and its 430pm..Yes we can handle that. the price will be 850.00 is that acceptable mr HO? It is? We will have your house ready in the morning. Thank you sir. If you call me and want me to clean a house after hours the price is likely to be 500.00 or more. The mgmt companies I work for add 10% to my invoices. seems like easy money to make one phone call. Just need to find dependable people to back you up.

·
wannabe
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You need to make your subs work for you. You don't work for them.
You're absolutely right, I'm lacking the experience when it comes to assertiveness. In the field I am able to work the situations a little better, but now I'm playing with the big dogs (so to speak) and I'm realizing I don't have the same leverage I had. It's a learning curve I guess. I'm trying to put myself in a position where I can get a "you help me, I help you" relationship. I'm not there yet....

·
wannabe
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Or charge a little more and sell the fact that you can meet even the most difficult last minute request from a HO. They want the house cleaned by 7am tomorrow morning and its 430pm..Yes we can handle that. the price will be 850.00 is that acceptable mr HO? It is? We will have your house ready in the morning. Thank you sir. If you call me and want me to clean a house after hours the price is likely to be 500.00 or more. The mgmt companies I work for add 10% to my invoices. seems like easy money to make one phone call. Just need to find dependable people to back you up.
That's pretty much what we do and what separates us from the other builders in the area. I work for a custom home builder GC, so my position is service/pr and property management. It's our niche in marketing here. My biggest issue is getting subs to do what I want when I want.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Finding the right balance between sub availability and quality work will always be an issue. The good ones are busy for a reason. Finding a few of each trade that you can call on would be a resaonable aproach in your situation.

Just be sure to spread the work around when your not in crunch time too. Them knowing there are other guys working for you may spur some faster service for you, it may also backfire too, just got to find a good mix

·
Super Moderator
23,773 Posts
It's not so much you as the nature of the beast...:thumbsup:

You may need to slightly hone some management skills, but you are fighting a never ending battle with people & their vacation homes.

Your best weapon is to be on a first name basis with the owners.

Good Luck. It can & does get discouraging...but if you remain persistent it does get better....:thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
25,905 Posts
All my projects but one are to be ready by memorial day. It is crazy right now. Crazy. Just got home again. We bid a lot in January thinking we would get some, but got it all. Lol. Its a good thing but the hours are crazy. After my crew goes home I go to work finishing what they couldn't. It is what it is, better than the alternative ...

The big thing is when your busy, you have to prioritize relentlessly, and then schedule relentlessly. Then hold everyone to the schedule.

The hardest thing to do when your a working guy turned manager is to remember to manage FIRST. Then if there is time put your bags on or grab a broom or shovel.

Make your subs complete everything while they are there. When they are getting close start writing a list if what they forgot/didn't get to/didn't want to do. When they think they are done give them the list. Otherwise you end up working until ten every night. Then divorce. Lol.

I was really getting pretty cocky, thinking I was pretty good until my dad started running the jobs I couldn't get to. He is so far beyond me as far as efficiency and foresight its crazy. I have a long way to go.

My little brother really stepped up and has been a life saver. Thank god. I need to catch a break every now and again.

Reactions: WNYcarpenter

·
Banned
4,895 Posts
Judging by your post it sounds as if you have a great grasp on things. You sound like a decent and honest guy who is concerned. That's really all you need is the attitude you currently have.

Get plenty of sleep, focus on the big picture.....and just keep at it.

Then go fishing when its all over.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
I tried marrying the rich girl and I did, really rich....aint worth it, now I'm paying child support. Yep, dumb one here.
I think "marry" one is the easier part. Keeping the whole thing going for the long haul is the hardest part: rich or poor.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts