Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

81 - 100 of 101 Posts

·
Punching above his weight
10,496 Posts
Just by the by, you should be wearing an actual cartridge respirator.

The good old N95's we've been wearing for years are great for stuff like light demolition or general labor, but they don't create nearly a good enough seal for sanding.
Come on now.

·
Super Moderator
27,257 Posts

The good old N95's we've been wearing for years are great for stuff like light demolition or general labor, but they don't create nearly a good enough seal for sanding.
Come on now.
No masks unless I'm cutting asbestos

·
10,496 Posts
Listen buddy, I get it. You chase whiskey with rusty nails. I read you loud and clear.

I'm just here to tell you that you might want to consider the idea of maybe wearing a respirator for things like concrete work, insulation work, cutting mdf, etc. You're gonna want working lungs in 30 years. Lord knows you ain't leaving a beautiful corpse anyway, so you might as well die older than dirt.

·
Super Moderator
27,257 Posts
Listen buddy, I get it. You chase whiskey with rusty nails. I read you loud and clear.

I'm just here to tell you that you might want to consider the idea of maybe wearing a respirator for things like concrete work, insulation work, cutting mdf, etc. You're gonna want working lungs in 30 years. Lord knows you ain't leaving a beautiful corpse anyway, so you might as well die older than dirt.
Nah, unless I really **** up, like get on meth fvck up, I ain't gonna be cutting anything i dont want to anyway which is generally some dimensional lumber to form or frame for my own stuff or a family member or charity long enough to bring some callouses back out, bust open a nail gun blister (what in the actual fvck?) Start bleeding and say " I still got it!" Real loud, beat myself on the chest, make the same joke to my hands about maybe I need to bag up all the time and whoever is most junior (taylor currently) I won't need you when everyone gets demoted one spot, everyone laughs politely and someone makes a joke about my bags still fitting and I go back to my office and sell another one. This usually happens once a year. Last year it was concrete and welding my RV port and outdoor kitchen and I formed and framed an addition on a rental in the summer. Was going to trim it but when (my) miter saw was gone so I said fvck it and got the hands to do it. 2 days 2 guys well worth not having a coniption finding my saw in the hands of a rookie or something.

So I survived my need a mask time without a mask.

anyways fvck insulation lol

My boys have masks with cartridges if they want them. Or did before covid. Couldn't get cartridges for a while

I'm going to let the comment (lie) about me not being pretty go into the Jealous file

Reactions: Easy Gibson

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
50,819 Posts

Come on now.
You do realize that a cartridge respirator is just an N95 mask, right? I have an N100 mask with a breather hole and it has seals. Stuff will still get by because of movement. The mask is about $8-$12 each so they aren't considered toys.

But that's not the point. The point is he's using a vacuum and a N95 mask and he's still getting blow by. Normal folks are using cloth masks and other non rated masks thinking that they are protected. They aren't

·
10,496 Posts
You're also not having someone breathe on you like you were standing next to an angle grinder cutting concrete though.

It's the mask portion of the cartridge respirator that's doing the job making the seal.
You shouldn't be getting brown boogers. If you are, you need to adjust your equipment or technique.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I painted a lot of vehicles in my younger days and wore a dual cartridge respirator. After every paint job there was some paint on both sides of my nostrils. If you have facial hair forget any type of mask or respirator, unless it's a full face, supplied air system. People wearing a piece of cloth is an absolute joke.

·
10,496 Posts
That sounded uncharacteristically serious of me.
I really don't care. The brown boogers are more satisfying to pick.

·
Registered
Remodel
29,079 Posts
It's amazing I'll wear a respirator at all, but I do. Younger days checklist:

Methyl chloride strippers? Nope
Cement mixing? Nope
Drywall sanding? Nope
Angle grinding cement, rock, steel? Nope

You can see where this is going.....

·
Registered
Custom
13,097 Posts
Yes, I agree, until your choices start affecting me.
So based on your premise, what are you going to do about the flu going forward? Are you going to be wearing a mask for life because the same "experts" recommend the same protocol for the flu, and therefore your choice not to follow it for the flu affects others as your premise relies on...

Seriously... Be clear...

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
43,019 Posts
So based on your premise, what are you going to do about the flu going forward? Are you going to be wearing a mask for life because the same "experts" recommend the same protocol for the flu, and therefore your choice not to follow it for the flu affects others as your premise relies on...

Seriously... Be clear...
Don't expect an answer.

Mike.
___

·
Artist and not a curator
12,567 Posts
You do realize that a cartridge respirator is just an N95 mask, right? I have an N100 mask with a breather hole and it has seals. Stuff will still get by because of movement. The mask is about $8-$12 each so they aren't considered toys.

But that's not the point. The point is he's using a vacuum and a N95 mask and he's still getting blow by. Normal folks are using cloth masks and other non rated masks thinking that they are protected. They aren't
I started buying those N100's. They actually do work really well. I like them better then the cartridge ones. Those ****ing things drive me nuts. I messed mine up and every once in a while the cartridge will fall out of the damn thing.

Everyone knows brown boogers taste better though.

·
Artist and not a curator
12,567 Posts
Those PAPR mask look cool but it would totally end up in the yard during a jedi fight.

81 - 100 of 101 Posts