Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently started a job installing tongue and groove cedar siding in a 12x24 Jacuzzi house with 10’ high walls and an 8/12 cathedral ceiling. I downloaded a trial version of “National Estimator” to figure the bid. It gives 0.035 per square foot for 10’ lengths. That’s 100 SF in 3 ½ hours. Does that sound right?

This is the first time I've done a job like this, but still…
After cutting everything to length, cutting out for the electrical, re-cutting some but joints for a nice tight fit, and then making sure everything is level and lines up around the room, it seems like it should take longer than that.

I realize that the man hours will be different above 9’ and also on the cathedral ceiling. However, even below 9’ on the walls, is 0.035 HRS/SF a reasonable number for 1 person who’s working alone?

Bob

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
43,222 Posts
mudpad said:
You can't do that job alone and make any money. You need at least one helper.
Sounds to me like he figured out his cost after he started. :eek:

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Just like anything.... estimators are estimators.

Given broad expanse, decent nailing patterns, no scaffold, and well milled TnG, those figures sound reasonable. 100 sq feet is only 10x10.

If you're doing a closset, forget it.

Best

·
Registered
Remodel
29,519 Posts
It's T&G. Nail on the first row, tap the next row on, nail off Fast. The biggest problem is driving it in tight with the boxes in place (I'm assuming these won't get extensions after the install, so they're proud of the framing).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts