Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard Malarkey will match any shingle brand warranty that you like. If you want a GAF warranty, they will match. If you want a Certainteed warranty, write it down, they will match it. Anyone else use these shingles. I haven't yet, but may have to in the near future.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Sounds like a bunch of malarkey.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think they have a rubber base which works better with our fluctuating weather up here. This is the company that Certainteed was after when they made the widetrack. These are very good shingles.

·
Registered
7,182 Posts
Every single comment by any Roofer who used Malarkey has been favorable.

I think I have only read one comment ever regarding a warranty problem from one home owner.

It really sounds like a good product.

Ed

·
APPLIED RIGHT
383 Posts
I concur,Malarkey makes a great shingle.One of the top shingles in my books.

·
Registered
7,182 Posts
Shelter Distributing in our area recently started handling afew of their upper end lines.

I still have not had the opportunity to use them, but I will when I can and I look forward to it.

Ed

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hello,

I have not heard about the warrenty but we use them on about 90% of the roofs we do here in AK. I have personally seen them withstand 100+m.p.h. winds on the Bering Sea coast. They are about the best out there in my opinion.

Keith

·
Registered
175 Posts
I agree the Malarkey "Legacy" shingles are a good product. Their 30-year "Highlanders" are not rubber based and are typical of all the other 30-year laminates. The only downside with Malarkey's is the sealant strip. Much less aggressive than Elk or Certaineed and therefore more prone to blowoffs. With cool conditions early or late in the year in high wind areas, I'd think twice before installing Highlanders. The Legacy don't seal down any faster, but at least they'll withstand more wind. Elk and Certainteed shingles seem to seal well with temperatures in the low 60's, while Malarkeys seem to need upper 70's to 80's.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hello,

I live in Anchorage, Alaska and we only get about 15-20 days a year that the temperature rises above 70 all summer long. I will agree that the Highlanders and Dura-Seals(cheaper line) do not have the rubber modification but I will have to disagree about the sealing strip. It works great here in AK. I can't remember the last time we had to repair Legacy's because of blowoffs.
As I stated in the other post I personally have seen the Alaskan line withstand 100+ m.p.h. winds. I also recently went out to Hooper Bay AK to chase a leak. On a 700+ square roof I discovered less than 1 bundle had blown off in the 2 years since we did the roof. I would saw the sealant strip works, but these are just my personal experiences. You may have had different results.
As I said I feel they are about the best out there.

Keith

·
Registered
185 Posts
Never had any issues with Malarkey yet. I prefer them because in this neck of the woods skilled labour is hard to come by, meaning it is pretty hard to go wrong nailing these things first of all (with their patented 'zone' 1" nail strip as opposed to the IKO 'nail it perfect or your warranty is void' strip), and repairs are a little easier second of all (ever tried peeling apart black Cambridge shingles on a super hot day ((+30 degrees celsius +)) vs black Highlanders?). Another nice thing with Malarkey is they will warranty a 2/12 pitch, provided you install the proper underlayment...*guess*...Legacy 50 yr shingles are surprisingly easy on the elbows after you cut a few thousand feet of valley to boot vs most other 50 yr shingles.

Most of the other brands mentioned (Certainteed/ELK/GAF) tend to be a little more pricey around here so IMO Malarkey are the best bang for the buck...and they look perty too. mmm Black Oak...:cheesygri

1 - 12 of 12 Posts