Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

81 - 100 of 212 Posts

·
Focusing on solutions.
5,364 Posts
I prob have more makita than you do so I'm not in that range of people. I have as many of each brand and the festool tools are vastly better. If you was sold on performance versus cost you would go Festool as they are the better performance tool when you look at the cost over the life of the tool. Your working on a budget which is why you use makita. Working on a budget was the reason I bought so much makita stuff. It's a great quality tool for what it costs but they ain't no festool.

"Again the festool doesn't cut any better or faster or easier then a Makita(I've used both)"

It's the same reason people buy makita over HF or Ryobi.

If you look at tools like this then why don't you buy HF tools instead of Makita. They are much more budget friendly and they also cut.

The only people I see bashing a festool are either green eyed monsters or people who have never used them.

What does it matter , how others spend their hard earned money? Your experience & justification of how you spend your money, is different than how others make those same decisions. I personally don't bash anything I haven't had a negative experience with first hand. At this point in my business, I just choose to spend my hard earned money on tools that make the most money for me. In this case, makita kept money in my pocket & for the uses I've used it so far, I don't believe a more expensive tool would have made any difference in the quality of the product I put out.

·
Registered
16,392 Posts
pinwheel said:
What does it matter , how others spend their hard earned money? Your experience & justification of how you spend your money, is different than how others make those same decisions. I personally don't bash anything I haven't had a negative experience with first hand. At this point in my business, I just choose to spend my hard earned money on tools that make the most money for me. In this case, makita kept money in my pocket & for the uses I've used it so far, I don't believe a more expensive tool would have made any difference in the quality of the product I put out.
If you read my posts you will see I'm not bashing Makita at all. Most of us have done what you guys did and start with cheaper tools. If I could turn back the clock I wish I would have spent that money on festool in the beginning instead of going though tool after tool until I got to them. Would have saved me a massive amount of cash.

if people want to buy dewalt, Makita, husky etc etc etc that's fine. But they then to say festool is not worth it and only buy it because of the name is stupid because didnt they just do the same buying a makita over a HF tool! HF tools are cheaper than makita so why not use them? Remember all tools get the job done.

In my trade I can't afford not to have the best as I'm pushing my self as the best and any tool that gives me that edge is worth it's asking price.

People may think I'm stupid for spending $5k on a CMS setup because I can buy something that does the same for $500 but its gonna pay for its self in its first few jobs and make my life much easier also.

·
Registered
16,392 Posts
Californiadecks said:
I also have the Makita with the 118", And two 55" tracks. It makes great cuts for seam boards and picture frames. Not only does it cut better then freehand it is also faster.
By the way it cuts as good as the festool, I know this because I don't see how the cut could get any better then what you can get with a Makita. So IMO the makita is better because the price is better.
Oh I see who derailed the thread. How would you know it cuts as good as the festool if you don't own the festool? Lol

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Oh I see who derailed the thread. How would you know it cuts as good as the festool if you don't own the festool? Lol
The Makita cuts as good as the Festool. The resale value is absolutely uncontested which is why I kept the Makita and SOLD the TS55.

That being Said If I ran my Rail saw HARD every day I would go with the Festool and sell and replace every 2 years kinda like the do it yourself Hilti Program. BC is right about the OVERALL cost being less I say this because I was Shocked at what I sold my worn out 7 year old Sigma for.

·
Registered
16,392 Posts
charimon said:
The Makita cuts as good as the Festool. The resale value is absolutely uncontested which is why I kept the Makita and SOLD the TS55.

That being Said If I ran my Rail saw HARD every day I would go with the Festool and sell and replace every 2 years kinda like the do it yourself Hilti Program. BC is right about the OVERALL cost being less I say this because I was Shocked at what I sold my worn out 7 year old Sigma for.
I don't doubt It does. I'm sure the dewalt prob cuts just as good also. But it's when people bash on festool when they have never used the tools that gets me. If I didn't have any other festool equipment I may have gone for the Makita even though at the time I bought my ts55 they were pretty close in price but the quality sold me more than anything at first with the festool kit and when they done the package deal with the vacuum it made it cheaper than the Makita overall.

You talking about the sigma tile cutters? My mate was asking about one last night. I ain't read much about them but I heard they very good.

·
Trim Carpenter/Remodeler
31 Posts
I have not had a problem and needed a new tool, I have had questions about specific set ups when using my domino. That is probably too complicated of a tool for trex deck guy though.

You asked, I made a list of things.

Good grief.
Her you go again WC...California Decks is right, why do you get so personal when someone disagrees with you ? You did me the same way in another thread. Like I said before you may be a skilled carpenter with quality tools but my friend your character stinks. Sooner or later regardless of the tools you own they will wear out, your work will be outdated but your integrity lasts forever.

Reactions: Calidecks

·
Registered
16,392 Posts
Sawdust54 said:
Her you go again WC...California Decks is right, why do you get so personal when someone disagrees with you ? You did me the same way in another thread. Like I said before you may be a skilled carpenter with quality tools but my friend your character stinks. Sooner or later regardless of the tools you own they will wear out, your work will be outdated but your integrity lasts forever.
Lol that's far from personal. That's called job site humor and if you ever worked on a building site you would know this. I don't think I ever been on a site in the UK or US where I didn't get dissed through the day and some days it went on all day lol.

·
I like Green things
22,955 Posts
I don't care what you or anyone thinks about me. I am not out to kiss ass or make a million friends, I have no need for that. All I worry about is taking care of my family, doing the best work I can and keeping my customers that pay me good money, happy.

I don't need a lecture from you or anyone else, if you don't like, oh well I won't loose any sleep over it.

Call me an ass hole, tell me my character stinks, whatever you think about me, does not concern me.

Life is not a popularity contest, I am not going to sugar coat anything and if I hurt your feelings or make you upset, deal with it.

Trust me, the tools and machines I use will not wear out. I buy stuff that is not disposable and holds its value. I can't afford to waste money on tools.

·
Registered
139 Posts
i dont think any of the Festool line up does anything better than Dewalt, Makita etc. That includes routers, plunge saw and mitre saw..
The only tool that is better is the Domino, and thats only because no one else makes one

John,,

·
Registered
139 Posts
Lol that's far from personal. That's called job site humor and if you ever worked on a building site you would know this. I don't think I ever been on a site in the UK or US where I didn't get dissed through the day and some days it went on all day lol.
You cant beat working on a british building site :thumbup: Unless your a miserable git or a bit sensitive :laughing:

John..

·
Registered
16,392 Posts
Californiadecks said:
Because I tryed it a my supply house. Lol
I have tried the Makita. Had a go on me mates last time I went home to the UK. Didn't feel as smooth or well built as the festool but as far as that I have no idea how well the Makita works day to day. He burnt it up just after and bought the ts55. my other mate who wants the sigma tile cutter looked at both and tested both and he's going for the festool over the Makita. His main reason is the riving knife. But there purchases are not based on price. They are buying on features and quality.

·
Registered
17,162 Posts
:laughing: Some times I try to go to work for some small contractor:laughing: And they can't take the large track type humor:laughing: And there's no way I can stop it:blink::laughing:

i dont think any of the Festool line up does anything better than Dewalt, Makita etc. That includes routers, plunge saw and mitre saw..
The only tool that is better is the Domino, and thats only because no one else makes one
John,,
Ignorance is bliss my friend:thumbsup: If you ever see a Rotex sander DO NOT TOUCH IT! You do need to stay in your bubble:laughing:

Life is a popularity contest, and the only people that convince themselves otherwise are those who aren't doing very well at it.
Well I not playin in your game! And I never have! I was an outcast from a child and have never fit in you popularity game.

Reactions: CanningCustom

·
Registered
139 Posts
Ignorance is bliss my friend:thumbsup: If you ever see a Rotex sander DO NOT TOUCH IT! You do need to stay in your bubble:laughing:

I dont use sanders, go on any building site in the UK and you will not see a carpenter using a sander. Go in a workshop and you will.

JOhn...

·
Registered
17,162 Posts
Festool is better BUT I can't afford them so I go for Makita because the tool is good, Japan is a country that likes the United States.

·
Registered
17,162 Posts

I dont use sanders, go on any building site in the UK and you will not see a carpenter using a sander. Go in a workshop and you will.

JOhn...
JOhn man no need to copy and paste:no: just use the
if you would like to quote somebody:thumbup: You can also use the
button if you'd like to quote more than one person:thumbsup: Oh by the way welcome to the party :party:

81 - 100 of 212 Posts