Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed my Makita 55" rail is cupped slightly in width along the entire length, it's visibly not straight along the width, and when I place it on a flat surface it is very obvious.
My Festool rails are completely flat as should be.
Perhaps I got a defect. Any of you guys with the Makita saw, can you check your rails and see what you find?
thnx

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, I bought the kit last year, but hadn't gotten around to it till now. Been using my Festool.
I was wondering if it was perhaps a common flaw on the some of Makita track saw rails.

·
Working
4,127 Posts
About 3 years ago when I bought mine the short rail was the same way right out of the box. I returned it and they gave me a new straight one they had 4 tracks in stock and I picked the only bent one.

Cole

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I received a new Makita 55" track, made in China also, and it's worse than the previous one. The saw teeter-totters ~1/8" side-to-side on the track, making it impossible to get a square cut, and it cut the anti-splinter strip stepped and not straight as a result.
Out of curiosity I checked the shoe on the saw with a straight edge, and it has a bow along its length, bulges out in the center! :censored:
I think it's safe to say Makita has some serious quality control issues.

Attachments

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
That's crazy. Not sure about the rails but was surprised to see my saw was made in UK. I will have to check that out also.

Reactions: m1911

·
Registered
683 Posts
I received a new Makita 55" track, made in China also, and it's worse than the previous one. The saw teeter-totters ~1/8" side-to-side on the track, making it impossible to get a square cut, and it cut the anti-splinter strip stepped and not straight as a result.
Out of curiosity I checked the shoe on the saw with a straight edge, and it has a bow along its length, bulges out in the center! :censored:
I think it's safe to say Makita has some serious quality control issues.
I would say the shipping is the biggest issue. Not easy to ship a 55" anything. I think its actually over what UPS allows. The track saw on display at my tool shop is flat as can be.

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I would say the shipping is the biggest issue. Not easy to ship a 55" anything. I think its actually over what UPS allows. The track saw on display at my tool shop is flat as can be.
It's not the shipping, although the box was damaged. The rail itself is manufactured poorly, it is cupped the entire length. The extrusion is dogchit.

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
They picked a good sample for display:censored:

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
43,314 Posts
m1911 said:
It's not the shipping, although the box was damaged. The rail itself is manufactured poorly, it is cupped the entire length. The extrusion is dogchit.
I've got three of them including the 118" they were all straight as John Wayne. You just got a lemon.

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
43,314 Posts
m1911 said:
2 cupped rails and bowed saw? more than a lemon. :censored:
No it's a lemon. I guarantee that's not par for course for Makita. Did you ever think that the company sending them to you may be the problem? Like they are selling you rejects or something's happening in their shipping?

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've got three of them including the 118" they were all straight as John Wayne. You just got a lemon.
Straight perhaps, but are they flat and not cupped?

Also, the extrusions don't match up between the two rails I got, as in different production runs perhaps? I figure with CNC machining these days, we shouldn't have these discrepancies in part dimensions. :blink:

I don't have these issues with my Festool TS55. I guess you really do get what you paid for...

1 - 20 of 65 Posts