Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking into purchasing a couple cordless bare Makita tools to make use of their free battery rebate they have going. In need of a decent work radio and thinking about the cordless drywall screw gun. Wondered if anyone had any opinions on sound quality and where it degrades on the black Makita radio, I think the model is the LXRM03B.

I'm torn between that and the deluxe Bosch. Sort of because I really like good quality radio and mp3 sound, but I have no cordless Bosch stuff so the charger is wasted and I nearly never need the extra outlets. I don't mind the Makita not having a charger- I think I have 3 Makita charging bays but the holdback is basically the sound. I heard at higher levels it distorts and the bass is a little lackluster. I don't alway work in open areas where the sound can be cranked up but the option for certain songs generally is nice.

Anyone have any opinions on the sound quality of the Mak? (I have done searches but most results either said- it sounds okay- or they were complaints and discussions getting into why they don't have charger functions.. Which sucks yes- but I don't need a charger).

·
Interior Remodeling
1,275 Posts
It wont charge battery's or work off the skinner lith ion battery's either. Sound is good. I'd rather buy a $20 radio from best buy.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
For a small compact radio, it's very good. Reception is much better then the Bosch, but that may not matter to you. Sound quality is good, though not as good as the Bosch if you want to blast it.

Bosch has a lot more bells and whistles, but you pay for it, both in cost and in size.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I have the white Makita radio, it has pretty good sound quality at normal listening levels, it's not good cranked up at full volume, though. I've found if you put it a corner or enclosed space it really sounds good. If I want great sound quality and really turn it up, I put on my Shure headphones. They've ruined me for every other stereo I own.

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
I've had a dewalt, Milwaukee, and Bosch. I liked the Bosch the best, and the Milwaukee the least. I could never bring myself to buy the Makita. My buddy ( another contractor) has one, and when ever we work together we use mine.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
For a small compact radio, it's very good. Reception is much better then the Bosch, but that may not matter to you. Sound quality is good, though not as good as the Bosch if you want to blast it.

Bosch has a lot more bells and whistles, but you pay for it, both in cost and in size.
This.

And yes, stay away from the Milwaukee. That one sits in my shop. The Makita travels with me. I really like it.

I'm eyeing the Bosch and have played with it in the store. Just having a hard time sucking down the price.

·
Registered
16,392 Posts
I have had the dewalt, Milwaukee, both Bosch radios and the Makita. I kept the deluxe Bosch and the Makita. The Bosch is great for loud levels and I have airplay on the Bosch so I can stream music and control the volume. The Makita gets used in the trailer or as a small radio in jobs with low space. I don't use the charger in the Bosch as I have no Bosch tools so charging packs is not a big deal for me.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input so far. Seeing as I wanted the battery rebate, I went for the Makita radio. I tried it out a few minutes in my house and at the low end volume, I heard a decent amount of static but it could be my hypersensitive selective hearing (for instance I heard one of our trucks leaking air from a deteriorating gasket on one of the tires when it was parked on our street like 20-30' away once... To figure I can't hear people who talk to me 5 feet away, hah). I'm going to take it over for a quick paint job where I'm working in a little bit and my shop which will be the true test.

We have some unshielded t8's in our garage which have given me increased static on some older house radios when I've had them in the shop, but I tried a friend's Bosch and it was significantly (if not altogether) reduced. I'm hoping the only reason I heard static was because it was at such a low volume level (was in a very quiet room unlike where it will normally be) and it seemed to get less as the volume went up.

As a side note, I suckered myself into the cordless 6-12 led light they offer which is blindingly awesome. Don't have to waste money on my surefire batteries in attics and under houses now :)

Will keep you updated on how this works out. (I guess the alternative is to buy more expensive shielded t8 ballasts alternatively to my static issue... But that's a waste of working ballasts and money...)

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So. I reeeeeeeally wanted to like this radio. SO much. But it wasn't meant to be. The reception where I am is such that to get each local station, I had to change the radios location in my garage as well as its orientation. Wouldn't work on a site where walking around it causes static. When it was clear it was awesome. But it still even got a little static on my iPhone. Plus I'm getting a 5s once they get off back order which makes the top slot useless since my iPod stays in my silverado's armrest console. Gonna bite the bullet and get the Bosch Deluxe for like 219 from BLowes.

Exchanged it for the cordless Makita jigsaw. Haven't used it yet but I've heard good things.

·
Registered
16,392 Posts
That's the first time I heard anyone say they had issues with reception on the Makita. Your Bosch will be worse based on how mine functions. My Bosch struggles to get local stations clear but the Makita picks them up clear. My dewalt was the worst. I ended up putting a piece of 1/2" copper on it as an antenna is was so crap.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Guess it's possible I had a lemon... I've used the none deluxe model of the Bosch before and it worked great, same with their little mini portable. I suppose I got unlucky but we'll c. Maybe I was just lucky borrowing the Bosch.

·
Perfectionist
618 Posts
That's the first time I heard anyone say they had issues with reception on the Makita. Your Bosch will be worse based on how mine functions. My Bosch struggles to get local stations clear but the Makita picks them up clear. My dewalt was the worst. I ended up putting a piece of 1/2" copper on it as an antenna is was so crap.
Agreed...the DeWalt reception sucks big time.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I have had my Makita radio now for about 6 months. It is very durable, reception is awesome and you can't beat the portability. The radio stays in my Transit connect all the time. I have a lot of other LXT tools as well so it works great for me I only run it off of a battery.

Someone said you can't use 1.5 amp batteries in it previously but I do as well as 3 amps.

I have a bosch radio as well but really never use it even though it is louder than the makita but the reception sucks and easily twice the size of the makita.

After 6 months the speakers sound blown between 23 and 25 which is maxed out. I am going to put aftermarket speakers in the radio hopefully that can take the power. I would buy another one tomorrow though. :clap:

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I have had my Makita radio now for about 6 months. It is very durable, reception is awesome and you can't beat the portability. The radio stays in my Transit connect all the time. I have a lot of other LXT tools as well so it works great for me I only run it off of a battery.

Someone said you can't use 1.5 amp batteries in it previously but I do as well as 3 amps.

I have a bosch radio as well but really never use it even though it is louder than the makita but the reception sucks and easily twice the size of the makita.

After 6 months the speakers sound blown between 23 and 25 which is maxed out. I am going to put aftermarket speakers in the radio hopefully that can take the power. I would buy another one tomorrow though. :clap:
Which radio has the bad speakers, Bosch or Makita? You kinda jumped around in your last few sentences and I couldn't follow which one you were referring to. Sorry!

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
I think garage sale beaters are better... what ever you do don't by a DeWalt radio!
Why not? My DeWalt just finally kicked the bucket after about 8 years. That is a pretty good span if you ask me.

However I have Bosch and Makita cordless now so I won't be getting another DeWalt.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts