Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Makita 14.4V Drill/Driver set has provided the most reliable service.
However, every tool wears out eventually. And this is now the case.

I have been doing alot of finish carpentry lately and i'm looking for a kit that is "easy" on screws.
I had a DeWalt 18V Impact that just mangled everything that it touched!

I'm now shopping for a new set-up.

Options are either the Makita LCT 18V series kit...

http://www.makita.com/en-us/Modules/Tools/ToolDetails.aspx?ID=24073

Or...

The Hitachi KC18DHL kit...

http://www.lowes.com/pd_306201-67702-KC18DHL_4294857540_4294937087?productId=3056415&pl=1&currentURL=/pl_Combo%2BKits_4294857540_4294937087_?rpp=15$No=0

What would a good Finish Carpenter buy and use?
:hammer:

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
A Festool.
My only surprise is that it took a full 11 minutes for you to get on this one.:eek:

We have several 18 v Makita drivers and they seem to do a great job. The drills have been to the repair house though. Not sure if they all have built in problems but ours didn't hold up to normal use.

·
I like Green things
23,018 Posts
I'm not surprised.
I love my C-12, it is a fantastic drill.

My only surprise is that it took a full 11 minutes for you to get on this one.:eek:

We have several 18 v Makita drivers and they seem to do a great job. The drills have been to the repair house though. Not sure if they all have built in problems but ours didn't hold up to normal use.

He asked what a good finish carpenter used.

I am patiently waiting for the new C-15 lithium.

·
Registered
967 Posts
I have been doing alot of finish carpentry lately and i'm looking for a kit that is "easy" on screws.
A good finish carpenter uses the correct size pilot and counter sink and good screws.... and a Makita 18v LI driver/drill not impact.
I just hate the noise.
That Festool drill sure is nice also.

·
Don
1,322 Posts
i swear if i go buy this festool and it was pointless im gonna be pissed.......after i went through their site the TQ is so low on the cordless 238 inch lb thats weak sause

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
Use GRK screws as well.
I agree. I can't have enough of the trim heads.

I have the 18V Makita combo and the small 10.8V Makita combo. The light is the winner to me. It stays on after you pull the trigger and let go. All others the light goes off.

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
My Makita 14.4V Drill/Driver set has provided the most reliable service.
However, every tool wears out eventually. And this is now the case.

I'm now shopping for a new set-up.

Options are either the Makita LCT 18V series kit...

http://www.makita.com/en-us/Modules/Tools/ToolDetails.aspx?ID=24073

Or...

The Hitachi KC18DHL kit...

http://www.lowes.com/pd_306201-67702-KC18DHL_4294857540_4294937087?productId=3056415&pl=1&currentURL=/pl_Combo%2BKits_4294857540_4294937087_?rpp=15$No=0

I am not just a finish carpenter I do a lot of other things as well, I always use a nail gun when doing finish work, I don't like trim scews for trim, unless I have to use them.

With that being said I just bought 2 Makita Drill and Impact Driver kits, LXT211 it has a hammer drill and impact driver and 2 3.0 ah batteries and a charger, it was $329, I liked the 1st one so much I took back one of my new Dewalt kits and bought the second Makita kit.

·
Dan
4,822 Posts
Go MAKITA 18 volt lithium ion impact driver/drill kit. you won't be disappointed. I want a second impact. mine has lasted a few years and gets used every single day and runs in tapcons, 4" screws, timber locks, ledger locks. you name it, this thing rocks

I think the festool drill has it's place but I'm waiting for a C15 to come out. I don't compare the two drills. I would use the impact for different jobs than I would use the festool drill.

·
I like Green things
23,018 Posts
i swear if i go buy this festool and it was pointless im gonna be pissed.......after i went through their site the TQ is so low on the cordless 238 inch lb thats weak sause
If you do not like it, you have 30 days to take it back and get your money back. The extra chucks are worth their weight in gold.

Go MAKITA 18 volt lithium ion impact driver/drill kit. you won't be disappointed. I want a second impact. mine has lasted a few years and gets used every single day and runs in tapcons, 4" screws, timber locks, ledger locks. you name it, this thing rocks

I think the festool drill has it's place but I'm waiting for a C15 to come out. I don't compare the two drills. I would use the impact for different jobs than I would use the festool drill.
I just dont use an impact anymore. I have not found the need to in over 2 years.

·
Carpe Diem
20,712 Posts
I have the 18V Makita combo and the small 10.8V Makita combo. The light is the winner to me. It stays on after you pull the trigger and let go. All others the light goes off.
I, too have both Makitas (18 & 10.8v) and think they are all wonderful. I beat the living crap out of the 18v impact and it has not missed a beat. Some of the best tool money I've ever spent.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
I have two sets of Makitas. No complaints.

One thing I would recommend is to buy the best driver bits you can get. I pay about $2-3 each for my #2 Roberston (square) bits. I bought six last year. One broke and three were lost. The two remaining ones have installed about 20,000 deck screws and still aren't stripped, (and I've given them lots of encouragement to do so :laughing:)

Here's what I buy:

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=32282&cat=1,43411,43417

·
Registered
523 Posts
I concur with most here, buy the makita. :thumbsup:
You will not be sorry, I purchased my makita kits after all my Dewalts were stolen last year.:mad:
We use the impact almost every day, and only occasionally use the drills.
We install cabinets,windows,doors on a regular basis.
Almost a year old now and drills and drivers have not missed a beat yet.:thumbup:

·
Registered
281 Posts
I also vote for the Makita.
Have had most of them over the years.
Hatachi cordless were were the worst ones I ever owned.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts