Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you guys were talking on here last week about Using the 1/2" 18 v Li hammer drill and the fact that running it in 3rd(High speed) could do a lot of damage to the drill. I was at HD over the weekend picking up some caulk and Makita was there with a semi full of their latest tools. I asked one of the guys about it as I have that drill and he showed me the new drill and basically what they did was go back to two speeds to avoid damaging the drill in hammer 3rd speed. Also I really like their new 10" SCMS (I have the previous model about 1 year old) as it will cut taller crown and basically cut anything their 12" SCMS will cut. Nice changes

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
56,535 Posts
I don't think I count that as being fixed. More like avoiding the problem all together.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
56,535 Posts
Usually not multi conglomerate companies. They usually try to solve problems, not hide from them. I already know how to fix it. It is called metal. Don't use the plastic gears, use metal. At least in the 3rd gear area of the transmission.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
It is called metal. Don't use the plastic gears, use metal. At least in the 3rd gear area of the transmission.
Maby in Makita's case, but in certain circumstances plastic gears are better since they are a little more forgiving then ridgid metal gears.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have basically tore down the innards of my 5 year old DeWalt hammerdrill inspecting/cleaning/etcn and looking for the reason why the clutch was getting stuck and the gears which are all metal look great.....and that thing has seen a lot of work, not a ton in hammer mode but still quite a bit.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
There's a problem using it in 3rd with hammer mode? That's the only way I use it in hammer mode! But I never do anything bigger than 3/16" with it, so maybe I'm just lucky.

But I have noticed all the Makita 18V stuff has been on sale a lot lately.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts