Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Money Maker
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've lasted quite a while with using only a corded jigsaw. However lately I've found myself on more job sites with no power. This has led me to wanting to add a cordless jigsaw to my tool inventory but the question I'm asking is why is the makita cordless barstool or kit so much more money over other cordless brands?

All my cordless tools are makita so that's why I'm looking into them first. I do have 2 batteries and charger for the dewalt 18v line that I don't use. Therefore I could get their jigsaw for $119 bare tool. What is everyone else using?

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
Makita...:thumbsup:

I have borrowed one, from a friend, so many times, that he just told me to keep it and bought a new one for himself....:whistling

·
trim carpenter/remodeler
601 Posts
I have both Makita and Dewalt 18v. I am going to get rid of the Dewalt stuff when I get off my butt and do it. Performance wise, the Makita is def nicer. Has a LED light, and nicer for blade change. I have had no issues with the Dewalt though. I would like to have only one battery type for all my tools.
That said, either will do well, just your choice if you want to have a charger/battery dedicated to one tool.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I guess deep down I know I should just get the makita so all my batteries are the same. I'm just still trying to figure out why they cost so much more over other brands. Is it the light? Lol
No, it's because they are made in Bulgaria.

That's where all of the good stuff is manufactured.

Well, it was worth a guess(?).

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I have the Makita, and yeah it is more, but maybe it's a better jigsaw. I can only compare it to a old DeWalt Nicd and it runs circles around it.

Even on corded sites, it's grabbed before the corded Bosch's. Mainly because no one wants another cord or to switch cords.

·
Carbon Dioxide Producer
782 Posts
I have the Makita, and yeah it is more, but maybe it's a better jigsaw. I can only compare it to a old DeWalt Nicd and it runs circles around it.

Even on corded sites, it's grabbed before the corded Bosch's. Mainly because no one wants another cord or to switch cords.
I'm not sure I understand this. How does it run circles around it? The older 18V Dewalt DC330 cordless jigsaw has the same 1" stroke, 3-orbital and 1-straight blade positions, but at 3000-SPM it is 400-SPM faster than the newer Makita BJV190 with its 2600-SPM. If its a battery runtime issue, then the old Dewalt NiCad model can be upgraded with their new 18V li-Ion XRP batteries and charger.

·
Manager/Diplomat/Builder
331 Posts
I bought a cordless jigsaw earlier this year and don't know why I waited so long. Honestly, I do not use a jigsaw that often, my folding pull saw gets snatched from my belt for almost all straight, finish cuts long before I even think of grabbing a power tool. Jigsaw comes out for curves. I can't imagine using a corded jigsaw again, for my purposes. I've used that Makita saw, it's not what I own as I have Milwaukee cordless gear, but I liked the Makita saw just fine. More money or not, keep all your batteries the same, it'll keep your jobsite that much less clutter from "extra" chargers.

·
GC/carpenter
43,920 Posts
I own this one, not the Makita, but its got a lot of power. I never use the a Bosch corded anymore

Tool Power tool Jigsaw Machine Grinder

·
Registered
273 Posts
I was only joking. I'm just confused on the $100 more it cost on the bare tool compared to others lol
I was only joking, as well.

Bulgaria is not exactly known as the bastion of manufacturing quality.

I believe that it is rated well under China, as far as overall quality of products.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Californiadecks said:
I own this one, not the Makita, but its got a lot of power. I never use the a Bosch corded anymore
In the process of switch to M18. How's sight with this saw?

Does the blade have a hard time staying true while cutting. My dewalts have been awful.

·
GC/carpenter
43,920 Posts
kambrooks said:
In the process of switch to M18. How's sight with this saw? Does the blade have a hard time staying true while cutting. My dewalts have been awful.
I really like it, however I did remove the plastic shield in the front, to see it better. But it is very easy to keep true. I cut composites with it too, which is really dense. The right blade is imperative, as with anything that cuts. I find the 144d blades are perfect for almost everything I use it for, especially composites.

·
Registered
273 Posts
My cordless Makita as well as all others I have seen say made in the United Kingdom. Same goes for my corded Makita.
If you will go to Makita USA's own website ... it states, that for their cordless jigsaw, the "country of origin" is Bulgaria.

However, made in the United Kingdom (again, NOT a bastion of manufacturing excellence) couldn't be any worse than Bulgaria, could it?

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Lanya LaPunta said:
If you will go to Makita USA's own website ... it states, that for their cordless jigsaw, the "country of origin" is Bulgaria. However, made in the United Kingdom (again, NOT a bastion of manufacturing excellence) couldn't be any worse than Bulgaria, could it?
UK made tools are normally of high quality. I would put them up there with Germany on quality tools.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts