Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Wonder when they're going to make an 18V version?
I can't see 12V and 14.4V having enough power.

Has anyone got any experience with these impacts? I'd love to try one out, simply for the fact that they're so compact.

Kevin

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
I have a Milwaukee 18v one that I keep in the toolbox on my backhoe for removing bolts to change the buckets and such. It's got guts. I'm impressed with it. I have a buddy that runs a salvage yard, and they use a DeWalt 14.4 one and get good service from it.

·
Electrical Contractor
2,411 Posts
I just last week bought the combo special. 14.4 drill, impact gun, two batteries and charger. On sale at my local Makita dealer, NOT H-D. $229 for all!

I am very impressed with the little impact gun. That thing will run the longest deck screw deep in.
I know several log cabin builders who use them to run in those 8" #14 screws they use. That is where I first saw these guns used.
I also know of garage door installers who use them. They switched over from those big 1/2" drive electric impact guns.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do they have staying power for building a whole deck or do they burn through batteries quickly?

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Kevin - do you have other Makita 14.4 cordless tools already? If you do I understand why you would add another to your tool box, but if you don't I would look around at the other manufacturers and make your decision based on the entire system and other tools you will need down the road and choose a battery voltage and stick with it. I use the 18 volt Dewalt tools, one of the advantages to using the same line of tools and batteries is that once you have enough batteries I can just buy the bare tools that I want for next to nothing. At this point I could buy both the 1/4 and 1/2 impact wrenches as bare tools at the same time for about the same price as just a 1/4 kit with a case, two batteries and a charger which I don't need.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mike, thanks for the reply.

About a year ago I purchased a Makita 18V cordless set. (1/2" drill, recip saw, circular saw, jig saw, blower/vacuum, flashlight, and 7-1/4" sliding compound mitre saw.)
It came with two batteries.

This is why I was wondering if they were going to release an 18V version of the tool.
I was hoping to do exactly as you mentioned, buy the bare tool without batteries.

I'll just have to wait and see, as I don't really want to buy it if I can't use my exisiting batteries.

Kevin

·
Deck Designer/Builder
2,430 Posts
I know my reply is a little late but I just made Sears take back the 19.2 combo set I bought last fall because the batteries were junk. I converted over to the 18V Hitachi combo kit (1/2" drill/driver, recipricating saw, 5 1/2" circular saw, light). I had to turn the setting for the 1/2" drill down to 13 for deck screws because it's so powerful and has so much torque. I pre-ordered the 18V impact driver that's coming out in a couple of weeks up here because I love the combo kit so much.

Just my $.02 worth...

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have the Dewalt 18v impact and love it. I use it more than my 18v drill, plus it is easier on your wrist. About 2 weeks ago I was finishing up a indoor riding arena with outside stalls and was running 4" timberlocks in 2" oak and over heated the gun and little black pieces came out of it. I let it cool down and it still works. I bought a new one and retired the old one to the home shop. But all in all well wearth the money.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well dammit, still no 18V makita. If they don't have it out by next spring I'm going to buy the 14.4V kit with two batteries.

·
Painting Contractor
1,176 Posts
Fine Homebuilding magazine rated the Makita 14.4 as the "Best Value" Impact driver. The Hitachi as the "Best Overall" at nearly double the price... but the Hitachi has racing stripes... lol.

Just FYI.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I picked the makita 14.4 volt up from a wood trade show almost 2 years ago, the thing still runs strong after everyday use. Also have the 18 volt dewalt from the six tool combo and I always grab for the makita first because the dewalt 18 volt batt. dont last nowhere near as long, screwed out almost a whole 14x14 ceder deck with one battery and has survived a ton of 10 foot drops, makita also makes a drill chuck attachment for them also, sold at home depot.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks for the review! That might make my decision a little bit easier.

Kevin

Edit - Speaking of reviews.

I'm doing a great job of convincing myself!

Price: $234.00

Not bad for the impact, an extra drill, 2 batteries and a charger (and case).

Damn I want one of these!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well. Found the locally for about $300 CDN, which is right in line with all the pricing I've found online (US $). I'm going to order one in.

I've got an 8 x 16 deck to build sometime within the next month, I'll report back here once I've put it through the paces.

Kevin

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I should also mention - a local Makita rep told a buddy of mine (retailer I buy my tools from) that they won't be making an 18V version.

Reason:

Makita dude said:
Our 14.4 is just as strong as the DeWalt 18V.
Kind of a bummer for me, as the rest of my tools are 18V, but ah well, I do like what I have.

Edit - cool video.
http://www.taunton.com/finehomebuilding/media/hvt029.mov

·
Deck Designer/Builder
2,430 Posts
Update for those interested - I picked up my 18V Hitachi Impact Driver last week and man do I wish I had it at the beginning of the season. Or, years ago for that matter! Not only is it awesome for lag bolts (naturally! LOL) but driving decks screws with it is a dream. The ratcheting action when driving screws is the best! - My very good Hitachi 1/2" drill/driver that came in my previously purchased kit is now my 2nd drill. Also, the weight of the 18V impact driver is much less and the 3.0 Amp Ni-MH battery goes almost all day before having to be changed.

Again, just my $.02 worth...

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
DecksEtc said:
Update for those interested - I picked up my 18V Hitachi Impact Driver last week and man do I wish I had it at the beginning of the season. Or, years ago for that matter! Not only is it awesome for lag bolts (naturally! LOL) but driving decks screws with it is a dream. The ratcheting action when driving screws is the best! - My very good Hitachi 1/2" drill/driver that came in my previously purchased kit is now my 2nd drill. Also, the weight of the 18V impact driver is much less and the 3.0 Amp Ni-MH battery goes almost all day before having to be changed.

Again, just my $.02 worth...
I've heard the same from every deck guy in regards to converting to impact drivers from drill drivers. :Thumbs:

Not sure why its the biggest little secret in the deck biz, maybe Dewalt and the other big tool guys should start advertising their impact drivers in deck publications to educate people?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Kevin said:
I can't see 12V and 14.4V having enough power.

Well, got my 14.4 today. It's got power. I haven't put it through a serious work out yet, (this weekend I will) but I tried a few lags, and a bunch of screws into various surfaces, and it is impressive. Noisy, but impressive.

Will update after next weekend.

Edit - It has no problem burying a #10x4" deck screw as deep as the bit will allow. Lags are slow but steady. Drywall screws work great, it has good speed control.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The Rigid 14.4impact is excellent, not only lag bolts screws ect, but really good for lug bolts and assorted automotive work. Only possible drawback is the kit is only supplied with 1 batt. but it has the new batt.with a 20min.charge and lasts quite a while, depending on what fastener you're using

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I gave the Makita it's first real run today. I sure as hell won't be reaching for the 18V anymore. This thing ROCKS. Zips in lag bolts, screws with ease. There is NO comparison. If you're building decks, this is a must have tool. Don't know what I did without it!

I'm a satisfied customer to say the least.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Dropped mine again the other day from about 14ft onto concrete and chipped off a piece of the blue plastic by the battery but it's still going strong, now it's time to find a new method of keeping it on my bags before I kill it.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts