Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
41 - 44 of 44 Posts
General rule of thumb, stickered inside. 1 year per inch of thickness Around here, wood balances in moisture to around 12%. Even wood that's been kiln dried will balance to 10-12% if not stored in climate controlled environment.
Exactly,I here people all of the time wanting wood dried to 7%.If you make something out of it when you get it dried to 7% and the ambient in your area if 12-14% you have not gained anything and looking for problems.As was said ,stickered and air dried,a year per inch. In a kiln 28 days.I have several guys in the area with some large solar kilns that are cool and very cheap to operate but still take space and money to build.It's not cost effective for me to do it myself when I can buy from them.I don't see any of them getting rich soon.

I have used rough sawn lumber for porch additions and such where the rough look was requested. Built the projects green and had no issues besides the weight. The one project was a porch addition with a cathedral ceiling and the main ridge beam was 8"X16" and 20' long. What a monster to set alone by hand. All the rafters were 4"X12" in size and i sheathed the roof with 1"X12" boards. The owner waited 8 months before staining it and it turned out great.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.