Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Why do they DO that?!?! :censored:

Gorgeous solution. :thumbsup:
I've asked myself that many times. Why not make it a standard size? What bummed me out was that a 2 3/8 backset wouldn't work, hence the dummys with ball catches.:sad:

Reactions: Tinstaafl

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
What do you think of your Ryobi Router?

And what is the problem with FJ? It appers to be paint grade no? Maybe my moniter is too light
The Riobi is not a bad router for the money, it's held up well to alot of abuse. As for the fingerjoint, there were a bunch of voids that were unsightly.

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
What do you think of your Ryobi Router?

And what is the problem with FJ? It appers to be paint grade no? Maybe my moniter is too light
If you ever have to rip down
one of those veneered "solid wood"
french or panel doors, you'll see.
They throw anything of any length
in there, and they don't really care
how it fits together.

Reactions: Tinstaafl

·
solar guy
1,917 Posts
Both jambs leaned back about 3/16" in the same direction, the width was a heavy 1/8" wider at the top and the head jamb was slightly out of level. I cheated the margins with the hinges and planed the tops to match the opening. By the time I got the all hardware set and cleaned up, I had 7 hours into the install. Mortising the hinges on the jambs was the killer, all hand work. The doors have dummy handles and ball catches, as well as a slide bolt in the stationary panel. I also had 5 hours into the shopwork.:rolleyes: Not exactly a moneymaker.:laughing:
get a hinge Jig. The Porter cable is a good one and adjustable for hanging slabs too.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
get a hinge Jig. The Porter cable is a good one and adjustable for hanging slabs too.
:eek::eek::eek:
I used on on the door slabs, but I wasn't about to fire up a router in that house and blow dust all over the place.:no: Thanks for the compliment.:thumbsup:

·
solar guy
1,917 Posts
Both jambs leaned back about 3/16" in the same direction, the width was a heavy 1/8" wider at the top and the head jamb was slightly out of level. I cheated the margins with the hinges and planed the tops to match the opening. By the time I got the all hardware set and cleaned up, I had 7 hours into the install. Mortising the hinges on the jambs was the killer, all hand work. The doors have dummy handles and ball catches, as well as a slide bolt in the stationary panel. I also had 5 hours into the shopwork.:rolleyes: Not exactly a moneymaker.:laughing:
:eek::eek::eek:
I used on on the door slabs, but I wasn't about to fire up a router in that house and blow dust all over the place.:no: Thanks for the compliment.:thumbsup:
The slabs you can do outside.
The jambs are another story.
I was thinking about the other thread.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Did you trim out that house? That is some pretty fancy work.
Is that a common way of doing stairs, with mitered stringers and return nosings and all that? Or is the stuff we do up here just quick and dirty? I have never seen that except in pictures!
Thanks for sharing the pictures and the ideas. That will come in handy someday.:thumbsup:
Graham

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Did you trim out that house? That is some pretty fancy work.
Is that a common way of doing stairs, with mitered stringers and return nosings and all that? Or is the stuff we do up here just quick and dirty? I have never seen that except in pictures!
Thanks for sharing the pictures and the ideas. That will come in handy someday.:thumbsup:
Graham
No sir, I did not trim that house. I was hired by their interior decorator to hang the doors.

As for the stairs, open stringers are very common in these communities, although straight runs are pretty uncommon.

Attachments

21 - 31 of 31 Posts