Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Artisan Carpentry
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put a 15* bevel on one edge (or for drip cap rip the 5/4x6 in half at 15* to get two pieces of cap stock). I keep the blade at 15* and lower the blade to make the drip groove.

This was for a transom and a couple of side-lights for a 3 season porch. I favor decay resistant species, but I also treat the end-grain with Cuprinol since I see lots of decay in the bottom of the window jamb legs. Now waiting for tempered glass to arrive next Thurs.

Attachments

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,685 Posts
Normally I would angle the front edge too. Any reason why you don't. I do it because that is how I was shown. and how I have seen it on all the older homes. Which is usually when I would need to remake/make a sill/threshold.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,685 Posts
Dream on. Water clings. It would be the same amount. Just looks like he missed a step to me. On a sill it would be OK, on a threshold it would be prone to getting kicked and be the weak point because of the way it is prominent.

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
thanks Leo but not all the water clings:no: ice and snow will have an eiasier time dripping off the leading edge imo,when a window sill is wrapped with aluminum my top edge of the sill projects the bottom slightly[its how i was shown]

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,685 Posts
Now you are talkking about ice ans snow and aluminum wrapped stuff. I was taking about this one specific design and liquid water.

You are right about the snow and ice, only because it will build out the edge even farther. We won't even discuss the aluminum wrapped, it is not wood work.:laughing::jester:

·
Artisan Carpentry
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is where the transom and side lights went... It is an Arts and Crafts vintage home with a porch enclosed in cheesy aluminum siding and storm windows. I ran into rotten flooring, joists,posts, etc. while attempting to install a storm door... so the scope of the job changed.

Nothing too special, just remodeling the remuddling:

Attachments

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,685 Posts
What happened here, the left side looks correct, maybe just the way the shadows are falling? Otherwise looks good, as usual.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,685 Posts
I knew there had to be a reason. But all you had to do to fix it was jack the house to the left a bit. :laughing:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts