Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to use some job pics taken from my phone (Iphone 5c), and blow them up to poster size. Is the resolution good enough to prevent the posters from being grainy? or because it is digital, is it an easy edit to make them look good?

Any recommendations on who to bring them to for this service?

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Most decent print quality graphics run about 150 pixels per inch and up. I-phone images at 1936x2592 is poster size at 72 pixels per inch. Depending upon how well the image was taken, lighting steady camera it might work out. Another factor is how close will people be viewing the poster. If its for a trade shop booth and nobody will be closer than 5-6 feet, the standard I-phone image may work just fine.

Best advice is take an image to your printer and have them print it up to poster size 24x36 and see.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!

This is for a new office, I want to hang them on the walls since we do not have enough space for a showroom, I thought poster size pics would allow me to show what the equipment looks like.

I will try what you said, and if I have to, maybe I will go a bit smaller.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Depends how good you want them to look. An iPhone or point and shoot can only do so much. Even a DSLR can look bad if you don't know how to use it. Depending on what your trying to show you may be better if getting a pro over and retake the shots. It will prob be cheaper than a new camera but they will look professional. I take my own pics and they are good enough for what I need but I wouldn't be hanging them on a wall to show off.

What are these pics of?

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it is mostly commercial loading dock equipment, doors, warehouse equipment. I can get quality pics from the manufacturers, but like real pics of real jobs.

I have work scattered over most of New England, so getting a photographer to the jobs might get expensive

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
So, I am really clueless about this stuff, What should I look for in a camera if I want to take pics for this application?
My advice is to hire a professional photographer or a reprographic shop. Reprographic companies have the technology to turn small images into large ones for applying them to billboards, buildings, banners, etc.

Even though Home Depot and Lowes made it possible for the weekend warriors to get some of the tools in their hands to get professional looking results, there are still times when they need to hire a true professional.

The same applies with photography and printed media. The digital camera, the smart phone the color printer, etc. were cheap and easy ways for the average person to get professional looking photos but there comes a point when you need to leave it to a professional.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So, what you are telling me is that I can't learn how to be a professional photographer from a discussion forum.

My wife has a coolpix with 14 megapixels, I think I will play with it a bit to see if I can put something together that is passable.

Thanks for all the help

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
:laughing: It's special magical software
"Enhance" :laughing:

I've prepared thousands of images for reproduction, including the original Apple LCD box, and several Bank of the West billboards. It's all about viewing distance vs image size. If the photo was taken in very good light, newer cellphone cameras could make acceptably sharp and grain-free results at any size reproduction when they are normally viewed from twice their width. While sharp, they may lack other elements that make a good photo though.

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
Yeah the actual dpi on some billboards was 5. If you think about it, it's not like you'd see 1/5 of an inch from the road.

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
So, what you are telling me is that I can't learn how to be a professional photographer from a discussion forum.
You most certainly can! :thumbsup: If large posters is going to be a big part of your business then it would be profitable to learn photography. As someone mentioned in an earlier post, it's not about mega pixels. There are other factors such as depth of field, F-stop, lens size, filters, etc. that requires more than a "magic formula" to get the result that you want. It will take time and effort, trial and error, and a learning curve to get to where you want to be. After all, you described yourself as being "clueless" and this is a great place to start.

There are a lot of things relating to my business that I could learn myself but most of those things that I leave to someone with more experience and knowledge while I focus on the things that I do best.

Running conduit pipe is one of those things. I can take the time to learn how to do the bends, the 45's, the saddles, the offsets, etc. but it's more profitable for me to hire someone to do it. From my perspective I sometimes think that going from point A to point B only requires a 90 degree bend and some clamps. Then when the pipe looks crooked no matter what I do, I realize that it's not as simple as it looks. I call in the experienced professional and after he does 35-40 bends on this one piece of pipe, it looks perfect.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You most certainly can! :thumbsup: If large posters is going to be a big part of your business then it would be profitable to learn photography.
This would be pics to decorate some office walls and not an ongoing project. I think I will look for a local pro to handle this.

For my existing pics, I will blow them up to 10x12 and see how they look.

Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
"Enhance" :laughing:

I've prepared thousands of images for reproduction, including the original Apple LCD box, and several Bank of the West billboards. It's all about viewing distance vs image size. If the photo was taken in very good light, newer cellphone cameras could make acceptably sharp and grain-free results at any size reproduction when they are normally viewed from twice their width. While sharp, they may lack other elements that make a good photo though.

Desired LOD related to distance is everything.

·
Registered
10 Posts
There are other factors such as depth of field, F-stop, lens size, filters, etc. that requires more than a "magic formula" to get the result that you want. It will take time and effort, trial and error, and a learning curve to get to where you want to be. After all, you described yourself as being "clueless" and this is a great place to start.
I think that's a little too far into photography for this application. Auto settings would do fine for this kind of job, especially with the wacky lighting on some sites and whatnot. I have hard enough of a time getting my aperture and shutter speed right in perfect daylight! :mad:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts