Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After looking through Jeld-Wen's site and not being satisfied with what I see and hear, not to mention I have waited too long, I am going to built my first door.

This will be the first door out of 8 possibly 9 doors. I picked up some nice looking Hem fir and 1/2" MDF for the door material. I know some of you scoff at that possibly but I think all will work out ok. This is for my own home so if the damn thing falls apart, it won't be on someone else's dime.

As mentioned, got some 2x6 kiln dried for the styles ( terminology?) and 1/2" MDF for the inserts. Please excuse my terms for this as am stuck in the southwest stuff here and don't get to do this often. You guys have heard this from me a million times so sorry about that.

Anyway, 2x6 I will run through the planer to get me down to 1 3/8" and smooth things up a bit. Then some mortise and tenon joints lathered up with some Titebond II.

What do you guys think? Gonna work? Like I said I am sure you guys would have picked different material but ......it is what it is.

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
BTW this/these will be Craftsman style doors.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
I think your choice of style is good, if we are thinking of the same thing. I'm thinking a craftsman style door as a five horizontal panel door.

If you can keep your panel size small, you could use solid wood for the panel as well.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,576 Posts
Craftsman, shaker....Stiles, not styles. I've done it many times. What are you going to mortise them with, or are you just going to do a tongue and groove. I've done it both ways with good results. When doing T&G I do at least a 1" long tenon. When I do M&T I do 2 1/2" tenons.

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Leo, it will be tongue and groove. I was hoping for at least 2" deep groove.

I am not too worried about warp and twist. We are a pretty stable climate for the most part. I dug through a pile to find the right ones. We are talking 2 x 6 studs. I don't think I have ever spent that much time picking through a pile of lumber.

I am probably being a cheap a$$ but we will see how it goes. Being that I have never done something like this before, it will be okay if it doesn't work out. Plus it will be a cheap test run. I am pretty excited. You guys make me jealous when I look at your excellent work.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
I wouldn't use framing stock. Any knots will bleed through the paint and loosen up over time. Your supplier should be able to get you 6/4 or 8/4 clear fir.

Don't forget to leave room for expansion in your panel.

·
Been around
1,165 Posts
If you picked from regular framing stock I would allow the wood to acclimate to your surroundings for a couple weeks before you start to machine it. If the stile stock remains straight during that period, you will have a better chance it will provide you with a door that will remain straight.

·
Registered
Remodel
31,084 Posts
I've done this with dimensional lumber, including hemlock, a few times.

Personally, I've had the easiest time with SS grade, which I can get pretty cheap as 2X12. If I have a basically clear board with decent grain orientation, the next challenge is whether the KD process resulted in a lot of stresses. As you start cutting / milling, you're relieving stresses on one side or area of the wood, so it can bow pretty badly. This can be minimized by taking equal amounts off of opposing sides.

Probably different people do this different ways, but I'll take the stock from the lumber yard, square up one end and put it wherever I'm going to be milling it for a couple months. I'll make a series of cuts in the cutoff piece to see if there is bad case hardening, etc. Then I'll do a rough milling and let it acclimate some more (still dead flat and stickered). After a couple weeks, I'll do the final surfacing.

I've become a fan of MDF - I say go for it.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I have made them using regular sticking and 1/2" dowels. No call backs yet.

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just for the heck of it try the test fit with two Lower panels. You may like it better.

As is, the panels look too narrow for my taste
I think you are right. I was liking it all the way until I glued it, and clamped it. I should have gone with 2 panels on the bottom but it is too late now. I think it will be fine though.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts