Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Design/Build Remodeling
6,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a customer that would like a man door added to their house from the garage to the back yard. I have this idea to borrow from the architectural details of the overhead garage doors and trim the man door in 2 x rough sawn cedar. In fact, I’m considering purchasing a Pella fiberglass door (pre-hung) and replacing the stock jambs with the 2 x cedar. I would incorporate Pella’s threshold into my rebuild and mill the stop in cedar as well.

Am I asking for trouble here? What advice would you lend?

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
You may as well just buy a door only then and make your own threshold or buy the aluminum threshold separately.

I like to set my garage doors on a pt 2x8 or have the concrete raised up in that area. It seems to be difficult to get 10 years out of the door otherwise, before the bottom part of the jambs gets bad and the threshold is left blowing in the wind.

·
I'm The BOSS
1,904 Posts
Not sure of the type of house and homeowner this is for.

Does it warrant that type of time and materials for a door
out the back of the garage ?

Why not leave the jam and replace the exterior trim w/ cedar ?
composite jams or jam savers (small piece of composite where jam , meets sill)
is what i usually use. my opinion only....

·
Registered
Design/Build Remodeling
6,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not sure of the type of house and homeowner this is for.

Does it warrant that type of time and materials for a door
out the back of the garage ?

Why not leave the jam and replace the exterior trim w/ cedar ?
composite jams or jam savers (small piece of composite where jam , meets sill)
is what i usually use. my opinion only....
The house is finely appointed and so is the homeowner. The house is on a corner lot and the door will come out the side (facing the neighbor across the street). We need to pass HOA standards.

The door will come through a wall that has a stone wainscot, a 2-1/2” thick stucco belly board and the upper half will just be in stucco. The 2 x jamb not only matches the details of the overhead garage door but also helps me deal with the different thicknesses of the exterior finish materials.

·
Registered
Design/Build Remodeling
6,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
get the door with an ADA threshold..much better when it's set directly on the slab of the garage
I never thought about setting this thing on the slab - I need to consider that. I was intending on setting it on top of the grade beam (about 4-1/2” above the slab).

I keep telling people that Stuble knows his stuff - finally proof :laughing:

·
Registered
Design/Build Remodeling
6,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Look back at the picture in post #8. Above each window is a stucco bump-out. What would you call this detail? A “Stucco Header”? Stucco Lintel? I'm labeling my plans and I'm not sure what to call it.

·
Registered
Design/Build Remodeling
6,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Faux lintel?
Decorative lintel - stucco finish.
Base on you input (plus my own interpretation), I’m going to label it: “Bad Ass decorative faux lintel of stucco finish to match other existing bad ass decorative faux lintel of stucco finish.”

Hope I have enough room on the plan :laughing:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts