Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! We are newbies with first house. We are going to move kitchen cabinets from U shape to L shape (extending into the eat-in area) to open up the space. There is old linoleum in kitchen area, and carpet in eat-in area. We are going to put laminate tile over whole area.

The problem is that the linoleum area has a higher underlayment, and so is higher than the carpeted area. Had originally planned to lay laminate over the linoleum. Obviously we need to even things out. Would it be better to build up underlayment in adjoining areas (a much larger area since it includes entryway and hall), or take out the underlayment that is glued to the linoleum? Laminate is lighter than ceramic, so I'm assuming we don't need a stronger underlayment, but perhaps we need sturdier floor around frig and sink?

Hope this makes sense. Would really appreciate any advice!

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
Welcome to the site, and congrats on your new home.
I run into this problem alot, because builders like to use underlayment only when necessary, (most builders at least). So when in this situation, usually you want to deal with the least work and least expense. In this case, tearing out the linoleum to be the same height as the carpet areas would be the choice, but I would warn against asbestos issues. If your linoleum is the early 80's or before, I would want you to test the lino and the adhesive for asbestos. If it is newer vinyl, than you can just go for it and tear it up.
If the vinyl or adhesive has asbestos, you want to hire an abatement team to clean it up, or add underlayment to bring up to the same height as the vinyl, but then you may have issues in other rooms ajoining new underlay areas.
please let me know if you have further questions and good luck.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I would get in touch with an experienced floor guy to look at the situation and let him give you some ideas from his expertise. Usually flooring professionals with commercial experience have the knowledge of floor preperation. Because this is something they deal with daily. Floor leveling is a big part of the commercial side of business. residential installers aren't involved with this daily. Or just on some occasions. If they are residential guys or installers and have experience in the commercial side of business then they may know exactly what you need to do. You can get three estimates and compare what each are saying to measure up if one or two of them are logical or not. i've heard some crazy ideas from guys over the years. So three opiunions and you can decide from there on. good luck

·
Registered
9 Posts
Probably too late, Lisa; but take out the lino (the stuff sucks anyway), float your kitchen with self-leveling Ardex K-15 to the height you need, and voila. Done.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts