Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
General Contractor
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am designing a new island fireplace for my own home and looking to use large concrete tiles to finish it.

I am basically designing something similar to this but it will only be ~5' tall and then have exposed pipe to the lid. and it wont be see through.

fyi, I am using this marquis unit:

My tiles wont be as large as those in the top picture, but close.

This company makes those tiles but they are extremely expensive with shipping and all. solusdecor.com

So I am just looking for some place to start and any advice, links etc.

thanks

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
The process of making concrete brick and wall stones is proprietary. They are more secretive about the process than Coke is about its formula. My daughter once worked for a concrete brick manufacturer and I bought some concrete brick for a project. I told the salesman I was interested in a tour and he got that deer in the headlights look, stuttered and stammered and finally said he'd talk to the owner. Never heard another word from him. I told my daughter about it and she told me that only a few key employees are allowed in the restriced areas where the "secret" process is done. But my guess is that some sort of vibration/rotation process is used in a vacuum environment.

Concrete brick are extraordinarily tough. My bricklayer charged extra as you can't just break them with a trowel like clay brick. (Well, you can but they don't break very predictively.) Nearly everything is a saw cut. And they are very heavy, probably 1.5 times the weight of a comparably sized clay brick.

Reactions: griz
1 - 3 of 3 Posts