Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Making bucks in the rainy season

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  PA woodbutcher 
#1 ·
It’s almost winter in Southern California, and believe or not you can make big bucks fixing leaky roofs anywhere in the U.S.A where it rains alot All you need are some basic tools, a ladder, and a truck. Most of the time when you arrive at the customers house, They take you inside and show you where it damaged the drywall. If you can get into the attic without to much of a hassel you can usually spot water marks on the plywood, and figure from there where the waters getting in at. But if the attic is off limits or you can’t get in there, it’s usually pretty obvious where it’s leaking. Get up on the roof in the general area of the leak, look for nails popping through, look at the walls, and the pipes. Make sure they’re sealed properly. If it’s a tile roof remove or pry up the tiles in the leaky area, being careful not to break to many. You can usually find replacement tiles at your local roofing yard. Tear open the paper and search for water marks on the wood, once you spot the water marks follow it up the roof until you find where the leak is. ( sometimes, all I have to do is take up a few tiles and I find the leak, other times I’ve had to remove several dozen tiles chasing the leak up the roof) Once you’ve found the leak, Re-paper the area with new felt paper and seal around your patch. Job Done. I usually charge about $300-$400 for a 2-3 hour leak repair. I can do 2, sometimes 3 a day. Good Honest Money!
Sometimes Its as easy as replacing a few shingles to fix the problem Check out this video on easy shingle replacement

See less See more
#5 ·
It’s almost winter in Southern California, and believe or not you can make big bucks fixing leaky roofs anywhere in the U.S.A where it rains alot All you need are some basic tools, a ladder, and a truck. Most of the time when you arrive at the customers house, They take you inside and show you where it damaged the drywall. If you can get into the attic without to much of a hassel you can usually spot water marks on the plywood, and figure from there where the waters getting in at. But if the attic is off limits or you can’t get in there, it’s usually pretty obvious where it’s leaking. Get up on the roof in the general area of the leak, look for nails popping through, look at the walls, and the pipes. Make sure they’re sealed properly. If it’s a tile roof remove or pry up the tiles in the leaky area, being careful not to break to many. You can usually find replacement tiles at your local roofing yard. Tear open the paper and search for water marks on the wood, once you spot the water marks follow it up the roof until you find where the leak is. ( sometimes, all I have to do is take up a few tiles and I find the leak, other times I’ve had to remove several dozen tiles chasing the leak up the roof) Once you’ve found the leak, Re-paper the area with new felt paper and seal around your patch. Job Done. I usually charge about $300-$400 for a 2-3 hour leak repair. I can do 2, sometimes 3 a day. Good Honest Money!
Sometimes Its as easy as replacing a few shingles to fix the problem Check out this video on easy shingle replacement

Typical Craiglist's handymen type of work. :whistling No warranty, no contract, no license, no call-back,... no nothing... just "patch&run"??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.