Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have someone who has five windows in a new home that need an arched top casing.

It will be made of walnut and be flat 1x4 style with an eased edge. What is the best way to tackle it?

There has to be a better way than making templates and gluing up 1/4" pieces one at a time????

·
Registered
818 Posts
What he said, use some wider boards and cut out the curve.

·
Registered
67 Posts
We did it this way as well , though we made a simple keystone of wood for the centre of the arch and just had two shorter curved pcs. to install. It seemed easier with the break for a large arch though I have not done it in one piece.

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
As I'm thinking about it, the only way to do it in this case is to cut strips because the grain needs to bend around the casing. Glue up won't work for this. I found this series on how to do it by Gary Striegler. He is the man when it comes to carpentry. He's got this down pat.

·
I like Green things
23,031 Posts
Cutting it into strips and doing a bent lamination will not be the pretty flowing grain look you think it will.

Picking and choosing the right boards, gluing up blanks paying attention to the grain will turn out looking better then strips. That has been my experience.

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cutting it into strips and doing a bent lamination will not be the pretty flowing grain look you think it will.

Picking and choosing the right boards, gluing up blanks paying attention to the grain will turn out looking better then strips. That has been my experience.
Unless I'm not following, isn't the way you are proposing going to have all the grain running horizontal?

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Stupid question, maybe - Why does the grain need to bend with the casing as opposed to end matched straight pcs?

Stripped glue ups ...well show they are strips. It's very hard to avoid at over 4", especially after you plane the face.

---Please tell me he didn't "just" use the hand power plane to face the trim and at least did a finish pass on the dewalt thickness planer.

That Jig has some potential

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
If you're going for a natural look, wood doesn't bend like it does when you do strips. A good glue up looks more natural and better.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I'm not sure why you think the grain won't flow.

Attachments

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Stupid question, maybe - Why does the grain need to bend with the casing as opposed to end matched straight pcs?

Stripped glue ups ...well show they are strips. It's very hard to avoid at over 4", especially after you plane the face.

This is for a guy who knows what he wants and wants what he wants and this is what he wants.

---Please tell me he didn't "just" use the hand power plane to face the trim and at least did a finish pass on the dewalt thickness planer.

Maybe you've never seen anything by Gary before. He has forget more about carpentry than the best of us will ever know. He truly has a love for the trade. To answer you question, no. The whole purpose of the video series is to advertise for a particular planer/moulder.

That Jig has some potential
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6V0Rl_xJ4iQ&feature=c4-overview-vl&list=PL78D754E160008C4F

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts