Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed some windows for a g.c I do work for,I didn't get a chance to measure myself so he did it.

When i get there I find the bathroom window like this:rolleyes:wall directly below was shot as well,so I built a new frame using pvc incorporating a sloped sill.

nothing fancy I know:laughing:..just some of the junk I been doing lately..

Attachments

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Looks fancy to me. Great job.

I love jobs like that, where what you're replacing is totally shot. Once the new window is installed it will look amazing.

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
6,770 Posts
Looks pretty nice as normal, but I really don't see much wrong with the old one, Nothing a little paint will not fix.:laughing:

I pretty much do complete replacements any more , much nicer job when done.

·
hack of all trades
1,144 Posts
That's pretty nice. I don't have much experience replacing windows and the ones I bought for my own house are new construction. Figured since my old frames are rotted I needed to go that way. But this seems much smarter a solution.

·
THe IRon Piñata
171 Posts
Tom I see u have the Red empire square.... Can't find them around here been looking....harbor freight had them years ago but they have vanished down here all together all we have is the blue..

How many did u get to replace? The whole house..

·
Registered
13,913 Posts
So......you made a replica of the old pine frame and created a new PVC brick mold and sill? I have done this many a time. Although I usually just wrap the outside with aluminum.

Sometimes the effort costs as much as a full frame replacement but you save the trim out issues and maintain the look. Exterior casing dresses it up nice.

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
was a tub wall window,I didn't want any wood.

I glued on all the stops so there are no exposed fastener to fill or rust,i'll get some install pics,just going to cortex thru the casing,I added some small angles to the bottom of the sloped sill to make shimming easier

Attachments

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Do you like the PlyGem replacements?
I didn't supply them but..meh..na,this i think was the builder line idk

I laid down a piece of bevel siding on the sill,wrapped the r.o. in tape then Cortex and caulked the sides and top,z bend for a drip

Attachments

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Tommy that's over the top:thumbsup:. I reno'd on an old farm house a few years ago. 59 windows and 37 doors. All made with custom df 3x12 sills angled , drip edge. Come to think of the big Domino would of been nice. really satisfying to make all custom sills and windows inserted in 2ft stone wall.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts