Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Making a flat roof a deck?

126K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  Grumpy 
Grumpy said:
When a customer says to you "I have this flat roof I want to use as a deck" how do you respond? What type of system do you recommend? Assume they are setting no limitations on material or budget.
We have done a few of these. We usually use the most appropriate material for the roof surface itself (torch-on membrane or equivalent), then build a platform on which the deck surface itself is installed. This way, the deck doesn't look like a roof, and there is no foot traffic damage to the roofing material. I know some people install granulated top sheet and claim it is strong enough to support foot traffic, but what if someone puts a chair on this and starts rocking back and forth? You've got a tear in no time.

Grumpy said:
Pgriz, we usually do a double layer of the modified bitumen torch down. If we do a single layer, we at least install a double layer where the "deck" sleepers make contact with the roof.

If you do use a deck type system it is important that the deck floats and is not fastened to the roof. Also it's important to be aware that the pressure of the deck sleepers on the roof is a common cause of leaks. This is why we do the double layer at the sleepers.

Tom hay was telling me abotu a roof system he installed as a deck a few months back and I wish I could remember the link to the pics. He coated the roof with some kind of material (adhesive maybe?) then sprinkled granuals of some sort on the roof for traction.
You are, of course, perfectly right. Our decks do float, and in fact we use rubber pads to support the deck and hold it separate from the roofing material. As I said, we've done a few and so far no call-backs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.