Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Hey Bass, how's it going? Glad to hear you're mad skilz aren't sitting idle. I can hear those wood shavings as they're rolling off that newel. No hearing protection needed there.:thumbsup:

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
you are making your own edge banding. Leo will be proud. :thumbsup:

glad to hear you have been busy. Hope all else is well too.

·
wannabe
2,283 Posts
What do you use for a plane?....I use a stanley low angle that I use in the field.

I've tried my hand at sharpening but I've never gotton the results I see in FWW....sharpening is a skill in itself:thumbsup:

·
Artisan Carpentry
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Bass, how's it going? Glad to hear you're mad skilz aren't sitting idle. I can hear those wood shavings as they're rolling off that newel. No hearing protection needed there.:thumbsup:
Howdy, The trees are starting to show off their fall colors here...this causes Minnesotans to panic.:laughing: This season is always busy here. I've been doing some cabinetmaking and installing, tomorrow is day two of an oak and iron rail job, making a custom oak return air grill, a mud room project, etc.

The sound of a sharp plane in action is very cool!:w00t:

Cheers,

Bass

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Howdy, The trees are starting to show off their fall colors here...this causes Minnesotans to panic.:laughing: This season is always busy here. I've been doing some cabinetmaking and installing, tomorrow is day two of an oak and iron rail job, making a custom oak return air grill, a mud room project, etc.

The sound of a sharp plane in action is very cool!:w00t:

Cheers,

Bass
The sound of quality hand tools in general is very cool. It's a shame some guys in the trades have never heard them.:laughing:

·
wannabe
2,283 Posts
The sound of quality hand tools in general is very cool. It's a shame some guys in the trades have never heard them.:laughing:
I need a better teacher than what I've had...sorry, didn't mean to dumb it down.

That's cool basswood, wish I could do that!

·
Artisan Carpentry
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
you are making your own edge banding. Leo will be proud. :thumbsup:

glad to hear you have been busy. Hope all else is well too.
Hi Gus,

I kinda like the idea of making my own edge banding.:jester:

Been busy with work and finding time for some fun too. Last week I paddled the canoe from my place in Minnesota across the Big River to Fountain City, WI... had lunch at the Golden Frog, then paddled back home. Took a daughter and a nephew along. It was a good time.

All the best,

Bass

·
Artisan Carpentry
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What do you use for a plane?....I use a stanley low angle that I use in the field.

I've tried my hand at sharpening but I've never gotton the results I see in FWW....sharpening is a skill in itself:thumbsup:
I also have an old Stanley, low angle, block plane. I recently bought a fine diamond sharpening stone and I have found it easier to get good results with this stone than with the others I've used... or maybe I'm getting better at it.:whistling

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Hey Bass, will you sharpen these for me, pal?:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
4,617 Posts
Your blade is set too deeply and you need to check your chip breaker, if you have one on that plane. Those seem a bit thick, which is a testament to how sharp your blade is, but how smooth a surface is it leaving? Looks like its chattering a bit by the fuzzy shavings.

Good job on learning to sharpen by hand. There isn't much more satisfying than success.

·
Artisan Carpentry
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The plane I used is a Stanley 12-960. I posted the wood shavings pics because people always joke about carpenters being "maker of wood shavings," etc. and because I thought the shavings looked cool. Also, I think hand tools don't get used enough anymore... that and none of my work this month has been very interesting.

Ordinary work does pay the bills though.

·
Artisan Carpentry
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Your blade is set too deeply and you need to check your chip breaker, if you have one on that plane. Those seem a bit thick, which is a testament to how sharp your blade is, but how smooth a surface is it leaving? Looks like its chattering a bit by the fuzzy shavings.

Good job on learning to sharpen by hand. There isn't much more satisfying than success.
I set the blade a skosh deeper than normal, for rapid stock removal (this was back-beveling the hidden side of a half-newel, so it didn't need to look perfect). The plane didn't chatter, pretty good for deep planing of oak. Pine shavings would look very smooth, I reckon.

Hand tools are very enjoyable to use, if it is a good sharp tool, and you have some skill.:party:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts