Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone doing any mailers lately? I have thought about doing a tri-fold, something really nice. I was going to use a mailing list targeted to families with above 75k p.y. income and in the a wealthy zipcode in my area. Any other ideas? Cheap mailing tips? etc.... THANKS!

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Rule of thumb is less than 1% return rate, meaning -

Mail out 1,000 pieces, you will get 10 calls.

It's 1/10 of 1% or 10,000 mailers = 10 calls on a good day

·
Registered
539 Posts
I'm with nlgutters and buddy on this one.

We do a couple previous customer mailers a year,...as well as targeted mailings around job sites...

-If I got 10 calls out of every 1,000 mailed, I'd quit the majority of the outside advertising we spend money on and hire some smoking hot 18 yr. old just to watch her lick stamps all day.:laughing:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Back to the point here

statistics being just that, i cant control who calls on the mailings. BUT i do want some ideas as to content, layout, catchy little ideas etc... i do want potential customers to see quality. what have you guys done??

·
Registered
539 Posts
In all seriousness, Bild-

We've used Keith at kbk graphics..I dont have his info. handy, (try a google search) but he never fails to impress, and his rates are some of the best I've seen.

-Hope this helps

**Also, we've used colony press (www.colonypress.com) in the past strictly for radius mailers,-(around jobs) and the rates are great. I believe you tell them an address, and they send personalized postcards to the nearest 200 neighbors to that designated address you supply him with for $84.00

·
Captain of the Titanic
708 Posts
Anyone doing any mailers lately? I have thought about doing a tri-fold, something really nice. I was going to use a mailing list targeted to families with above 75k p.y. income and in the a wealthy zipcode in my area. Any other ideas? Cheap mailing tips? etc.... THANKS!
I'd essentialy agree with the 1%, or 10 out of 1000. Thats been our experience. The falicy of direct mail is a misnomer. Mailing 10,000 people that you have no idea if they need your services isnt direct mail, or at least not quite direct enough for me. Thats why I'm moving in a different direction this year.

I plan to do visual canvassing and mail only to that person / property that can obviouly use my services. Mail to that individual 4 to 6 times per year for 2 years and if theres no response, off the list they go.

I recently spoke to another outdoor services type contractor that did this exact thing and they now run thier business soley on thier own direct mail list.

And if I cant keep up between running leads and visual canvassing, I'll hire someone at minimum wage to do it for me. Plenty of folks out there that need the few extra dollars, just need to find someone trust worthy.

And BTW, just because they make 75K or more per year dont mean squat. Everyone spends more than they can afford and most everyone is tapped. My major market areas are loaded with Wall Streeters and even at thier lofty millions, they arent spending either.

If the visual canvassing idea doesnt grab you then the only other suggestion I can tell you is dont just target anyone in a certain income braket. My best customers of the past 10 years have consistanly been empty nesters. They generaly let theier property's go to crap while thier paying for sonny's college or the princesess wedding and once the rug rats are gone they have money to burn. Find them, and you'll find buyers.

·
Confidence of Quality
31 Posts
I've had better response with brochures by leaving them at local suppliers. Every one else just leaves cards. I believe it's just something different in a sea of the same, plus if a customer comes into the store more than likely the are looking for the service you provide.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Income Alone does not make a good list!

It's great your thinking about narrowing down your target market with an income selector, but you need to get more specific. I spend a lot of time with clients helping them refine target markets and identifying key differentiators within their business. Before you mail one piece you need to have these two in sync with one another.

I highly recommend that you NOT mail a brochure. A brochure should be reserved for a face to face meeting, leave behind.

Couple of reasons -
1. They are pretty expensive by the time you design and print them let alone mail them.
2. Brochures are meant to inform not sell. You want to motivate them to call not just tell them about your business.

You need to send something more compelling and intriguing. A letter, greeting card, or even a postcard. All of these can 'sell.' These will be cheaper to produce and will pass the trash can test with higher read rates than a brochure. Each of these drive traffic/calls differently so it needs to fit into your overall plan.

All the best,
Nicole

·
Registered
416 Posts
Repeat repeat repeat

I agree with the posting re: 4-6 mailings per year. Suggest you read thread "Guerilla Marketing," also. One mailing may not get you squat in this economy, this is a long term committment.

Almost guarnteed to be a direct mail service in your area who can pull mailing lists by demographics and do the actual mailing for you cheaper than you can do it yourself. Look in yellow pages for mailing services. Or you could use the one close to me, doesn't matter if you are across the country. Private message me if you want a contact name.

·
Registered
141 Posts
In all seriousness, Bild-

We've used Keith at kbk graphics..I dont have his info. handy, (try a google search) but he never fails to impress, and his rates are some of the best I've seen.

-Hope this helps

**Also, we've used colony press (www.colonypress.com) in the past strictly for radius mailers,-(around jobs) and the rates are great. I believe you tell them an address, and they send personalized postcards to the nearest 200 neighbors to that designated address you supply him with for $84.00
Keith from KBK is great. I found out about him while lurking here. Thanks guys!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts