Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are some pictures of a bar that I did in a finished basement a while back.

Bar top is 1 1/2" thick solid mahogany. I did most of the work in the shop, but had to leave the 2 1/2" wide outside edge off to accomodate the support column that's growing out of it near the corner. Clamping would have been awkward, so I glued and screwed the outside edge on with 4" screws after I notched the short leg to fit around the column. Plugged the holes with plugs cut from the scrap.

Corbels are from VanDykes. Finish is several coats of poly.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Looks like it's missing a backsplash, though.
On the granite? I agree.

I had nothing to do with that wall:whistling. I don't even know where the wall cabinets came from. They were just hanging there on the day I went back touch something up and take these pics...

I think they were planning to add a mirror to that entire wall.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why didn't they go with mahogany for all of the wood?
$$$$$$$ :furious:

You should have seen my face when I showed up to trim it out and the GC had a pile of poplar plywood and clear pine boards waiting for me.

Oh, well. I'm just the guy who nails the sticks to the wall.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Rough crowd. I should post some pictures of the stuff I really bungled.

In truth, I never noticed that "ding" until I saw it in the photo. I hope it's not really there... or that anyone looking at the bar from that angle is really drunk.

·
Registered
732 Posts
If you can find the right finisher, they can make poplar/birch look like mahogany. I built a bar that was originally supposed to be paint grade out of birch ply and poplar. I left the job and when I came back a few months later I saw some of the best faux finishing I have ever seen. The only way you could tell it wasn't real was the lack of texture in the clear coat.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Rough crowd. I should post some pictures of the stuff I really bungled.

In truth, I never noticed that "ding" until I saw it in the photo. I hope it's not really there... or that anyone looking at the bar from that angle is really drunk.

Jeremy, your work is beautiful, we are just having a little fun:thumbsup:

·
Builder/Remodeler
3,818 Posts
Nope. I asked the GC and was told "It's a basement. Just butt 'em and nail 'em."

Always the balance between what I'd like to take the time to do and what I get paid to take the time to do.
He sounds like a real knob-job...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts