Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
...jammin
5,234 Posts
For the side of a truck or van? That kind?
Staples has a DIY kit
Haven't used it though so no opinion on the quality
Thought about getting it though...obviously...lol
I don't remember the price but it was pretty darn cheap or else I wouldn't have considered it

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
I have one truck that is plain, and totally without any commercial labeling. This truck is used for a certain federal government customer who has that requirement. It would be nice to have magnetic signs to slap on the doors when the truck is on other work. I went to that magnetic sign website and designed a sign. I'd like a little feedback on it, since art and design is not really anything I know much about.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
There are many good reasons for mag signs. HOA's not allowing commercial vehicles parked during certain hrs., using the vehicle for long hauls and getting calls from TN when you live in FL, resale value and many others.
I use a local co. (Sign-A-Rama) which is a national chain, good value and keeps your local money and jobs in circulation.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
md, I think it looks good, all the necessary info, and no more. Easy to read and high vis. The only thing that jumped at me was the periods in the phone #. Maybe that's how it's done there, here it would be: 717-816-4214
or: (717) 816-4214

A friend of mine used to have them and he lost several sets to thieves (vandals)
until he painted the truck. Maybe that was just the watering holes he frequented. :cheesygri Rich.

·
Registered
295 Posts
mdshunk said:
I have one truck that is plain, and totally without any commercial labeling. This truck is used for a certain federal government customer who has that requirement. It would be nice to have magnetic signs to slap on the doors when the truck is on other work. I went to that magnetic sign website and designed a sign. I'd like a little feedback on it, since art and design is not really anything I know much about.
Seems to have everything and is not cluttered. Here we have to put our lic# on all advertisements,signs,etc.

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
plumguy said:
Here we have to put our lic# on all advertisements,signs,etc.
Where I do work, each municipality issues it's own licenses. There is little statewide licensing. If I had to list license numbers on the trucks, it would take quite a bit of space. I understand in states like NJ, you can get hemmed up pretty good not listing your license number. Luckily for me, that's not an issue where I'm at.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Best bet is to talk with local sign makers in your area, or even smaller guys that just specailize in vinyl graphics for race cars, the companies they get their vinyl from offer many different advertsing options, magnets/coroplast, etc...I very good freind of mine is in that profession so I get very good deals and get to see how it operates.

Recently I relettered my race car that also serves some street duty and car shows, so permanant vinyl stickers are not an option I wanted to purse. I bought a whole roll of magnet material and we just laid out the graphics on that and put it on the car, I dont have a full side veiw shot yet but will have one soon. Only thing I found was at over 120mph they lose their ability to hold onto the car :eek: now have to cut stripes of vinyl to tape down the leading edge. Best part of this whole deal is from 5' away you cannot tell they're on a magnet and are removeable.

Be sure you remove them often as one of my first trucks I let them stick for a year through all the weather conditions, when the truck got totalled I peeled my signs off the doors and it literally took the clear/paint/primer off with it. So with my race car after a race I peel them off to wash the car and leave them off until Fri before I head to the track so I dont take that chance...little more maintenance involved so you dont take a chance ruining your paint, but it's nice should you decide to sub out to a company that does'nt want your name on the job site to steal their business-big time issue around here with the old school window/siding sellers.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
mdshunk said:
I'd like a little feedback on it, since art and design is not really anything I know much about.
I think it's very informative. IMO, "full service electrical contractor" has a better 'ring' to it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts