Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has any body used this as a blasting media i think its marketed as maxx strip over in the USA i was looking into it. its half the price of soda and aparently it cuts quicker any body have any info, experiences using this stuff

·
Know your Role
64 Posts
Yes, I have used it. It was called magnablast at the time. It is like shooting fertilizer as a blast media. It does not have that great of cut. I would not waste my time or money on it. Get yourself some crushed glass or Starblast by Dupont, you will be much more satisfied with something that actually works.

·
Pedro
8 Posts
I use the Maxxstrip as a blast media for cleaning calcium from pool tile. It works very well. I don't know what you want to use it for and it may not do the trick if your trying to clean something that's much harder.

The hardness of the magnesium sulfate is 3.5 on the MOH's mineral hardness scale, as the hardness of the glass is 7. You can see the glass is twice as hard. It all depends on what you want to clean.

When we are cleaning pool tile, the calcium has a hardness of 3 and so we are only using a hardness of 3.5 to blast it off. This eliminates any tile damage that could be done by glass beads, which is the other popular way to clean pool tile.

·
Registered
26 Posts
ausisoda, Mate
1. where do you get your soda from? and what grade are you using, course?
2. if products like maxxstrip and super K were available in Au would you be interested in them? been doing some sniffing around and have found the suff, not in Australia yet but if a few people show interest it can be, It dose not come from the USA....
3. Re: question 1. no I do not have a cooler yet but I do have the stuff that makes soda water resistant, I can make my own BUMP soda for half the price,
Cheers

·
Kelly
257 Posts
I have a whole pallet of max strip I was going to use it on a Red Brick house to remove paint do you think recycled glass #70 be better? I like the way glass works lot less pressure less noise less dust. I also found in testing max strip leaves a powder and when it gets wet it drys hard like cement. I was able to get it off with my hot water pressure washer but in the dirt areas it left a white film that got hard with water. I know the MOH is lower then glass I don't want to grind down the red brick with glass my tests with glass it cuts fast. I know it's great for tile like Pedro said I could always use it for that. I paid $22 bag for the stuff doesn't seem like a got a good deal. Is universal mineral the only company that makes it?

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ausisoda, Mate
1. where do you get your soda from? and what grade are you using, course?
2. if products like maxxstrip and super K were available in Au would you be interested in them? been doing some sniffing around and have found the suff, not in Australia yet but if a few people show interest it can be, It dose not come from the USA....
3. Re: question 1. no I do not have a cooler yet but I do have the stuff that makes soda water resistant, I can make my own BUMP soda for half the price,
Cheers

Hi mate
I get my soda by the pallet load from Redox chemicals its the ultra course grade its $27.00 shipped to my door per bag or about $1200per pallet.
you can also get magnesium sulphate from them as well AKA maxxstrip you can also buy super k also believe it or not its an additive in animal feed and its dirt cheap.
Magnesium sulfate is only $14 per bag.
Just out of curiosety what do you add to the soda to make it water resistant.
Is it 3m scotch guard.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Maxxstrip / Kieserite is Epson salts, the trick is getting the right grain size
Super K is sulphate of potash a fertilizer, again the trick is getting the right grain size, generally it is only available in powder (soluable) or the size of gravel for spreading on farms, now a bit of info for all both of these products that are available in the USA are not actually from the USA, they both originate from Germany!

As far as what I put in my soda to make it water resistant, not meaning to sound like a smart ass but this is one secret I would like to keep to myself for now (there could be a profit in it) apart from saying that it is a powder that you simply mix in with the soda, I'm not sure if it is exactly what Australian soda blasting supplies use but the stuff I have been playing around with reacts exactly the same as their soda, put some on a tea spoon, dip it in water and it comes out as dry as chips, I only have samples of the stuff at the moment but intend getting some to make my own water proof soda, in fact you could make anything water proof.

I did a job today (yes a Sunday) and used 15 bags of BUMP soda it cost me $1,050 just for the soda today, that is absolutely Insane, how is a bloke to make a profit when paying those prices just for the soda, atleast at your prices ausisoda $27 bucks a bag you have half a chance of making a profit, 15 bags $405. The only thing I think about when blasting is the price of my soda and every bag I put in is profit lost, it stresses the heck out of me

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Maxxstrip / Kieserite is Epson salts, the trick is getting the right grain size
Super K is sulphate of potash a fertilizer, again the trick is getting the right grain size, generally it is only available in powder (soluable) or the size of gravel for spreading on farms, now a bit of info for all both of these products that are available in the USA are not actually from the USA, they both originate from Germany!

As far as what I put in my soda to make it water resistant, not meaning to sound like a smart ass but this is one secret I would like to keep to myself for now (there could be a profit in it) apart from saying that it is a powder that you simply mix in with the soda, I'm not sure if it is exactly what Australian soda blasting supplies use but the stuff I have been playing around with reacts exactly the same as their soda, put some on a tea spoon, dip it in water and it comes out as dry as chips, I only have samples of the stuff at the moment but intend getting some to make my own water proof soda, in fact you could make anything water proof.

I did a job today (yes a Sunday) and used 15 bags of BUMP soda it cost me $1,050 just for the soda today, that is absolutely Insane, how is a bloke to make a profit when paying those prices just for the soda, atleast at your prices ausisoda $27 bucks a bag you have half a chance of making a profit, 15 bags $405. The only thing I think about when blasting is the price of my soda and every bag I put in is profit lost, it stresses the heck out of me

Hi mate
the epsom salts redox has the rite particle size its been ages since i bought it but its called magnesium sulphate (hep)something and it does work as for the potassium they stock it as well just ask them to send you some samples.
**** 15 bags is steap at $1,050 what did you blast for that much coin in abrasive?
I did a XY today in fine glass i havnt finished but ill post up some pics when ive finished.
There is no going back to soda now its glass all the way.
I still think i take to long to do a full car i can spend up to 8 hour on the shell thats inside and out and underneath.
Dam that tar sound deader is hard stuff to shift it took me over 2 hours to get it all off.
It freaked me out after i took the tar of in a small spot and you touched the metal you could feel the heat.
Dont stress on the additive ive got a bit of an idea what it is ive played around with some stuff before that worked.
Throw this at that soda mob your with there giving it to a guy called stuart look up riverland sodablasting on the web it will pop up give him a call.
There giving it to him for $45 per bag and i know this for a fact.
Thats not cricket in my book why should one operator get it for that price and not the other.
Hes my compatition and he`s a douch bag.
He bull****s on quotes if i could sodablast a full car in 4 hours inside and out including all panels with a 100cfm air compressor i wouldnt be booked 2 weeks in advance.
He either knows somthing i dont or he`s a dreamer
but all the same hes a douch bag

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have been blasting 2 Aluminium seaplane floats for a mate of mine quoted him $1,500 for the pair figured about one days work, the hard luck story comes in when it took me 8 hours and 15 bags of soda to do just one of them, still got one to go and with the price of my soda I have done some dough on this deal, the up side is that he is happy how they (it) has turned out and he wants a whole plane done later on so I figure I will make up my losses on the plane ( if I can get on to cheaper soda) unfortunately being thin aluminuim soda is the only thing I can use, I do have a bag of plastic media I might take down a give a go, he was sh***ting him self that I might warp the aluminium and stuff them up, the floats are worth about 15 grand each so I had to be very careful

·
Kelly
257 Posts
Why do you want make soda water resistant are you trying to reclaim it? I thought soda breaks down too much to do that? After I bought my machine the manufacture told me to use chemical stripper on hard paint to get it to soften up then blast it comes off quicker. You might want to try that on those floats.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
kell490 this link will answer your question.
http://www.asbsupplies.com/products_bumpsoda.html
The machine idontknow+ is using has no air drying equipment (they sell it that way)
so he is restricted to using bump soda at $66 per bag.
Hey idontknow i know of somebody selling a unit the same as mine he has a body shop and has no time to use it (i do all his gear now)
give us a yell if your keen its the skid mounted type but it doest have an after cooler but the guy has one sitting there i could get it all for a realy good price.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Ausisoda how much dose your mate want for his gear and the cooler?
sodablast has quoted me $5,500 for a SB100LV pot on a skid with no cooler.
I have been looking at the panblast BP300PMB-2 Blast Pot as a second multimedia pot (just put a dotcom to the end of panblast)

Kell490, the idea of the moisture resistant soda is so that you do not require a cooler/ air dryer plus all the other gear, The sales speel they give is that this means less start up costs, less maintenance, less down time due to glogs / blockages, and some coolers require mains power to run which is not pratical with a mobile unit etc. a lot of the Armex soda has a moisture coating on it but not as much as our BUMP soda. Our soda you can put a tea spoon full in a glass of water and the next day you can take it out and it is dry and still pours like a powder

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ausisoda how much dose your mate want for his gear and the cooler?
sodablast has quoted me $5,500 for a SB100LV pot on a skid with no cooler.
I have been looking at the panblast BP300PMB-2 Blast Pot as a second multimedia pot (just put a dotcom to the end of panblast)

Kell490, the idea of the moisture resistant soda is so that you do not require a cooler/ air dryer plus all the other gear, The sales speel they give is that this means less start up costs, less maintenance, less down time due to glogs / blockages, and some coolers require mains power to run which is not pratical with a mobile unit etc. a lot of the Armex soda has a moisture coating on it but not as much as our BUMP soda. Our soda you can put a tea spoon full in a glass of water and the next day you can take it out and it is dry and still pours like a powder

Ill find out the price for you.
If you get the sb100lv you wont have to worry about another pot they are a multimedia unit and the way the unit works is excellent no problems what so ever apart from today i chewed my hose fitting that connects to my blast hose it was alloy I needed a brass one i rang Adam and he expressed posted me one ill get it tomorrow You cant beat that kind of service i had a few fittings in the shed and managed to dogey somthing up for now.
The car im doing at the moment the shell has taken me 7 hours so far and ive only used 300kg of media the reason its taking me so long is that the thing is coated in thick tar sound deadner and i mean thick it took me 3 hours just to do the inside floor.

·
Todd
848 Posts
blasting sound deadner off with soda is a waste of money...use a torch and a scraper and get it all off first then blast the residue off,much quicker.

as far as the all this about bump soda and such.are you guys afraid to purchase a cooler?i would want a cooler on my rig just because.they tend to bring the temp down on all media shot and therefore reducing the moisture in all situations.although if you are not using a multi media pot then it would not matter.here is the pot i am using www.surfacetek.com i am using the blue larger pot and have a good hold on the wearable tips that seem to get tore up pretty quick.i am confident that soon i will be selling the consumables for a much better longer lasting use.

just for reference...i am paying 23.00 per bag for natrium soda and that is me picking it up.

why dont you guys look into starblast made by dupont instead of soda?it blasts like glass but is reclaimable and it is relativley cheap...i am paying around 7$ per bag

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I dont use soda much at all i use glass mainly and i do run after coolers on my gear and use pure soda.
Yea ill get a tourch for the sound deadener thanks for the tip blasterv

·
Kelly
257 Posts
I looked at that asbs I guess they want to sell you the bumb soda so they don't supply coolers and a water separator. Why not put a water separator on it and some after-coolers. Wouldn't take long before you recover your investment buying the bump soda.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I will be buying a cooler/air dryer for my rig so I can use cheaper soda, unfortunately for us Aussies our gear is expensive, where you can buy a cooler for $1,000 ours cost $5,000 In the long run the economics work out but in the short term (start up) it's a cost you could do with out.

Do you people have a problem getting rid of the dust after using soda? I did a bus frame a while ago and the bloke is refusing to pay me $850 for the job, he recons he has pressured washed the thing 4 times and the soda keeps growing back and comming out of every nook and cranny, I even let him talk to my equipment supplier and they just told him the same as what I did, blow it down, wash with water, he is realy peed off that it keeps growing back, he has even washed it with Viniger to try and nutralize it but it keeps comming back, I dont know what to say to him to solve this problem and I'm down $850. I hate soda!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Kelly
257 Posts
i wonder if that bump soda has something to do with that if it was water soluble it would wash out a lot easier. Can't you just mail order a after cooler from here? You could try glass but it still can warp. Lot of guys tape off anything where the soda can get stuck in. I'm just starting off and haven't even done a car yet but they told me if a customer wants a car outside done and it isn't stripped down then tape all the edges and leave a strip of paint so the painter can feather into that. Everything has issues nothing is perfect that's for sure. Has he tried a hot water pressure washer?

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i wonder if that bump soda has something to do with that if it was water soluble it would wash out a lot easier. Can't you just mail order a after cooler from here? You could try glass but it still can warp. Lot of guys tape off anything where the soda can get stuck in. I'm just starting off and haven't even done a car yet but they told me if a customer wants a car outside done and it isn't stripped down then tape all the edges and leave a strip of paint so the painter can feather into that. Everything has issues nothing is perfect that's for sure. Has he tried a hot water pressure washer?

You have to use a pressure washer thats how i get all the soda off i did a thin roof in glass today and i have to say i didnt warp **** it actually took me longer with the glass then soda i turned my rig down to 60psi and turned the media right back and stood almost side on to the panel and worked it slow and no warpage:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy
It took me an hour to remove all the glass left over in the body as well as 30 years of mud in the door sills but it came up 100%

·
Registered
26 Posts
The guy with the bus has washed it 3 times with a 4,000 psi pressure washer and he recons the soda is still comming back, the bus frame had some rust holes in it, I recon the soda has gotten into the square tubing through the holes and because he can not pressure wash inside them he can not remove it all, I told him (and so did the blokes from ASB) to stop washing it with water let it dry right out then just blow it out with air (which I did originally) I am a bit cheesed off with this bloke because I have done nothing wrong but he refuses to pay me because he recons he has had to pay his stuff hundreds of dollars for days of work trying to get the soda out,

1 - 20 of 31 Posts