Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

How many contracting specific magazine subscriptions do you have?

Votes: 2 18.2%

Votes: 1 9.1%

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • 4+

Votes: 6 54.5%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Painting Contractor
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What magazines do you subscribe to, that pertain to your particular industry or contracting interests, and why?

I'm not selling anything... just curious.

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
I subscribe to greater than 3 electrician/electrical/power distribution rags. I don't pay for any of them. I get all the "freebie" mags I can. I really am not as interested in the articles as much as I am in the ads to get a sense of the tools and materials that are being offered in the marketplace. I like to keep up with the latest trends in my trade with respect to tools and materials.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Journal of Light Construction, Fine Homebuilding, Fine Woodworking, and Woodworkers Journal, - - just always like to read and learn something more.

·
Commercial construction
627 Posts
Magazines dealing with the materials with which I build: steel, timber, and reinforced concrete.

Engineering News-Record
Modern Steel Construction
Concrete International
ACI Structural Journal
Design Build
Wood Design and Building
Wood Design Focus

Since I have to supervise Trade Contractors in so many different trades, I subscribe to many trade magazines, and buy dozens of technical publications as well.

Memberships, technical publications, and periodicals cost me several thousand dollars a year, but they make my job a lot easier.

·
Painting Contractor
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Right now I just have a subscription to American Painting Contractor, it's a free one as you all probably know. I was thinking of getting a subscription to Fine Homebuilding as well. I am interested in almost all areas of the trades.

Grumpy,
Can you name some of these free magazines and possible their place on the web?

Thanks
-Joe

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
If I don't have the time to browse a magazine when it comes in, it goes directly into the trash. I rip out images that provoke thought or the occasional informative article. They go in a "60 day" desk tray from which they'll be purged if they don't receive further consideration.
The only paid subscription I maintain is to a monthly, pocket sized publication entitled "Bits n' Pieces". It's put out by lawrence ragan communications. It's very light, thought provoking reading for occasional downtime (lunch, before meetings, waitiing for the kids, etc.) I give them to my kids when I'm done.

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
I find that I get the most important info from reading Playboy. example: Does the homeowners wife like long walks on the beach or is she a sit in the park gal, whats thier daughters favorite color, ect...ect...ect.

Bob

·
Painting Contractor
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Glasshousebltr said:
I find that I get the most important info from reading Playboy. example: Does the homeowners wife like long walks on the beach or is she a sit in the park gal, whats thier daughters favorite color, ect...ect...ect.

Bob
I was actually waiting for that response Bob ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts