Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I took out and ad in a small local publication recently. From this, I received a call from a woman who handles advertising for some other neighborhood magazines. These magazines are direct mailed to affluent areas(homes ranging from 1-20 million dollars).

I had a meeting with her today and sounds like it could be pretty promising. They tailor suit the publication for each neighborhood they target. Most of the content is reader submitted, so you know your ad will be seen. And they also host mixers every few months for the readers to meet the advertisers, so they can put a face to the name. It's a pretty expensive rate, but it seems like it could pay off pretty nicely.

Has anyone done anything like this? Did it work out for you? I know they do this on a national level, so maybe someone here has worked with them specifically.

·
Registered
403 Posts
You may or may not know this from experience but a lot of advertising salespeople look at ads in their competitors medias to find potential customers and many times the only responses you get from advertising in a lousy media is other lousy media advertising salespeople calling you to sell you their useless program in a "me too" approach. MOST advertising does not work very well because they get tossed or ignored.

The landing page of that website is a business opportunity pitch for living the good life selling advertising to unsuspecting small businesses.

A famous quote about advertising is "half my advertising doesn't work it's just that I don't know which half."

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The first magazine was my first jump into advertising. It was a pretty decent price, so I went for it. Probably gonna pass on this one though. The only redeeming factor could be the mixers. Turns out I have a friend who does vinyl work, so I'm gonna spend my money on having him do my truck instead.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Really depends upon the publication. Is it something the consumer will read or is it one of those throw away rags? Oh, and of course it sounded promising after your meeting, she is after all an advertising salesperson. It's her job.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
Unless its a magazine targeted to your audience most people I see reading a magazine are either waiting in an office for a meeting or appointment, or are standing in line to check out at the grocery store.

Now if thats the majority of people reading the magazine your published in I wouldn't expect a high call rate from it.

Now I get the Ontario out of Doors magazine and I enjoy reading the ads in it because I like to hunt, but any other magazine I will not read.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts