Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
I made it on the radio last year- the Mexican radio. They were giving out free bottled water. Gracias de agua, Radio Lobo!

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One thing I can say is all my main crew are diehards and don't think much of it. We have a lot of work to get done. We are all quite aware of how miserable it is but they always just plug away. Never count on the laborers sticking around long though. I go through those like water through a sieve.

·
Registered
Custom
13,679 Posts
I found it humerous that the clip immediately after the reporter says "this isn't a job for shorts" you see a guy on the left wearing... shorts... :eek:

Don't know if that was an editor having some fun... :laughing:

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
LOL. Quite well-aware of the downside. Obviously we were talking about seeing LnI the next morning.
There were no fall-protection violations. Please expound on what those are?

And that was the first thing we all laughed about. As he is saying "not a job for shorts and flip flops" One of the guys is walking throught the camera.

Nothing wrong with shorts doing the work they were doing.

·
I'm The BOSS
1,904 Posts
1) no harness for the guys working at the edge. 1:09

2) leaning over, leading edge. 1:22 still photo at end.

I'm not trying to pick on you. you have to be careful of stuff like this.
The wrong people could cause a stink.
if I'm wrong, let me know.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I watched it again and it's too bad they didn't name your company. You should have gotten some publicity out of it, the bastards.

That Pedro Ortega sure has nice teeth, this girl thinks.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
1) no harness for the guys working at the edge. 1:09

2) leaning over, leading edge. 1:22 still photo at end.

I'm not trying to pick on you. you have to be careful of stuff like this.
The wrong people could cause a stink.
if I'm wrong, let me know.
My guys need harnesses? Wish someone would have informed me of this when I started roofing...32 years ago.

Okay, smart-assedness aside. I'll try to explain it to you GC's briefly. We rarely wear fall-protection on flat roofs. We have what are called warning perimeters and safety monitors. That would be those delineators inside the edge and the guys wearing the safety vest not doing anything except watching the work. There is the same setup below where needed. The spot they were working in was a whopping 3' drop to the next roofdeck.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I watched it again and it's too bad they didn't name your company. You should have gotten some publicity out of it, the bastards.

That Pedro Ortega sure has nice teeth, this girl thinks.
LOL, I'll let him know Reg.
As far as publicity, we stay very busy without advertising so it doesn't bother me too much. It was a rather entertaining experience. The owner's rep came up today and said he was upset that the guy never bothered shooting anything about the girls on my crew working in this weather.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Yeah, what a missed opportunity. Bummer, oh well, still a cool experience and maybe a moral boost for the crew.

The only time I ever got interviewed for the nightly news as I was about to check in to my hotel in Colorado Springs, they asked, "what do you feel about staying here when a murder just happened?" The hotel owner ran out and yelled at he news reporter to get off his land.

I checked in anyway. I figure it had to be safe because it was crawling with cops.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
My guys need harnesses? Wish someone would have informed me of this when I started roofing...32 years ago.

Okay, smart-assedness aside. I'll try to explain it to you GC's briefly. We rarely wear fall-protection on flat roofs. We have what are called warning perimeters and safety monitors. That would be those delineators inside the edge and the guys wearing the safety vest not doing anything except watching the work. There is the same setup below where needed. The spot they were working in was a whopping 3' drop to the next roofdeck.

You are correct that you can use warning perimeters and monitors...... But your perimeters can only be a maximum of 6' from the roof edge. Look at 56 seconds It looks like your perimeter is at 2-3'. Also at 1:19 it doesn't look like there is roof below at the exact spot (I'll give you the benefit of the doubt).

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
C'mon guys, I posted it for some light-hearted entertainment, not to critique safety.
Been doing this a long time and was and am aware of the risks and ramifications of the job. I deal with LnI around here all the time.
At least you noticed what we all thought was funny with him saying not a job for shorts and flipflops as one of the guys walks through in shorts. We were also commenting on how ol' Jim Walton from LnI was going to show up the next morning.
We all gotta have a little break from the normal routine once in a while and this was just something different to talk about.

·
I'm The BOSS
1,904 Posts
I'm glad you got publicity.

but remember big brother is always watching.

My insurance Company check my website & Facebook looked at photos
to see the type of projects I did last year.

Who know what OSHA & epa does.

Just trying to keep everyones money, in their pockets.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts