Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Yzman720
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok I relize this is a dumb mistake and I feel like an idiot so dont need any remarks about it. I always hand paint my doors and trim and decided to spray them this time to save some time. Here's what I did - I hung .7 mil clear plastic on the walls to save them from getting paint then I sparyed one side of the door and waited for it to dry turned the doors over and sprayed that side they turned out perfect until I went to take the doors out of paint room, when I pulled them from the plastic the overspray paint on the back side of the plastic had stuck to my finish on that side resulting in a thick layer of paint on the woodgrain sticking. I am planning on trying a few different ways to get it off and still get a good finish with the wood grain not effected. What I'm asking is anyone else had this problem or got any suggestions on the easiest / best way to go about the fix?
I included a pic so you can see my dumb mistake........:furious:

·
Yzman720
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The paint covers the wood grain texture making it flush when I sand it it will not get the paint of of the grains so when I repaint it will be a smooth look in those spots....

·
Registered
125 Posts
If they are hollow doors, I would probably just replace them. The only other option is a chemical stripper. It could take an hour or more per door. There really aren't any other options that I can think of. Like you said, you can't sand them unless the film is very fine. If the film is paper thin, you might be able to knock it off with a fine sand paper. Not really sanding but, just wiping the doors down.
Good luck
Santa

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Try some MEK on a terry cloth rag and a plastic scraper / putty knife if needed. The MEK will dissolve the plastic. Then sand with #150 - #220.

Use in a well ventilated area. Wipe with min spirits then water soluble detergent / water.

·
MHIC licensed contractor
154 Posts
Im thinking steel wool or synthetic might clear the faux grain out. Start rough, and then finish the flat sopts with sandpaper.

The mek might help alot.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Boy that Sucks big time, those doors are pretty cheap at the Depot, depending on how many you have I would replace them, after I tried the Heat gun trick should do it, just heat it up a little at a time and pull the plastic just keep the heat gun moving, it may work. Good luck

·
Registered
64 Posts
You didn't say what the paint was. If it was oil this is how I would do it. Sand with palm for the heavies then sand with a sponge to feather in the edges. then re prime and top coat. Somethings that I do to stop this is! I anchor the bottom of the sheet in some way. I use a 5 gal. paint stirs stick nail to the top to help more it away from the wall.

·
Thom
4,137 Posts
I think the doors are goners. Any sanding will result in an uneven wood texture on the doors. Replace the doors and do better next time.

I use those same doors and spray them. I put up the plastic with a 1X2 on the wall at the right height to catch the top of the door. I put 2X4's on the floor to hold the door off the floor. After painting both sides in the "paint booth" I carry them over to the drying area, with a finger in the door knob hole and another on a hinge mortise (that's a real ***** on the 1-3/4" solid core doors so I do them first).

·
Registered
57 Posts
I would throw them all out. New they cost $19 each here in NJ and possibly less in other states. You will spend 2 hours to fix each one and that's more than $19 I would think. You will have some labor costs to re install hinges but that's still less than sanding, prime and re-paint. Also if you sand too much the graining will be a mess so it all should be done by hand.

·
native floridian
119 Posts
I would throw them all out. New they cost $19 each here in NJ and possibly less in other states. You will spend 2 hours to fix each one and that's more than $19 I would think. You will have some labor costs to re install hinges but that's still less than sanding, prime and re-paint. Also if you sand too much the graining will be a mess so it all should be done by hand.
I agree. Start with a fresh door and consider this a lesson learned.

Dont waste your time on the plastic covered door.

I have dropped doors moving them and the best fix was a new door.

Time is money, and wasted time is wasted money.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts